Old 01-05-2004, 01:04 PM
nortron

Default Lemon blossom falling off

Hi,

I have a nice potted lemon tree, it gives bloom every year in
abundance of sweet smelly flowers but couple of weeks following this
it just looses all the flowers during a single week (sometimes days)
and usually only one fruit remains from all the hundreds.
Will appreciate any suggestion as I am quite frustrated by now of not
getting any fruits from my lovley tree.

Many many thanks in advance.
Tal
Old 13-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Liza

I would guess bees or pot bound, but it could also be over/under watering or
poor soil quality.

You shouldn't expect to have too much fruit from a plant that grows quite
large that you are keeping in a pot -regardless of how big the pot is

If the leaves are yellow looking you may have a soil difficency, which would
also lead to poor flowering/fruiting.

Are you feeding fertaliser it in this pot A LOT ?
I'd guess it would need it. How long has it been in the pot ? Are you
changing the soil in the pot yearly and replacing it with good organic
matter ?

All of these questions need to be addressed.
For best results plant the poor bugger in the ground.

Kirsty
"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
(nortron) writes:
I have a nice potted lemon tree, it gives bloom every year in
abundance of sweet smelly flowers but couple of weeks following this
it just looses all the flowers during a single week (sometimes days)
and usually only one fruit remains from all the hundreds.

Bees.

Old 19-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Rez

In article 40a23fd8@tyson, "Liza" wrote:
I would guess bees or pot bound, but it could also be over/under watering or
poor soil quality.

You shouldn't expect to have too much fruit from a plant that grows quite
large that you are keeping in a pot -regardless of how big the pot is

If the leaves are yellow looking you may have a soil difficency, which would
also lead to poor flowering/fruiting.

Are you feeding fertaliser it in this pot A LOT ?
I'd guess it would need it. How long has it been in the pot ? Are you
changing the soil in the pot yearly and replacing it with good organic
matter ?

All of these questions need to be addressed.
For best results plant the poor bugger in the ground.

When I got my citrus trees, I called the grower and asked them about
conditions. He said it was fine to keep citrus in pots (even long
term), and it is even preferable to planting them in alkaline soil or
where the roots might freeze hard in winter, but to watch out for
several things:

Drainage is critical. Light sandy soil is better than heavy soil with
too much mulch, or clay. Too dry is better than too wet.

They prefer soil on the acidic side, and are likely to need an
acidifier occasionally.

Use Miracle Gro according to the directions for potted plants. When I
asked why that brand specifically, he said it has to do with
micro-nutrients.

~REZ~