Old 03-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Laura Faussone

Default Identifying apple tree

We just moved to a house with a couple of fruit trees in the yard, one
seems to be some sort of apple tree. The fruit is about the size of a
cherry, but otherwise looks very similar in shape and color to a Red
Delicious. The tree itself is about 10-12 feet tall. Can anyone help me
identify it or point me to a helpful resource?

Thanks,
Laura

Old 03-09-2004, 08:59 PM
zxcvbob

Laura Faussone wrote:

We just moved to a house with a couple of fruit trees in the yard, one
seems to be some sort of apple tree. The fruit is about the size of a
cherry, but otherwise looks very similar in shape and color to a Red
Delicious. The tree itself is about 10-12 feet tall. Can anyone help me
identify it or point me to a helpful resource?

Thanks,
Laura

How do they taste? Are they coral pink in the middle, or white?
(it's unlikely you will ever find a definitive variety name for it)

My guess is it's a flowering crabapple.

Bob
Old 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Laura Faussone

zxcvbob wrote:

Laura Faussone wrote:

We just moved to a house with a couple of fruit trees in the yard, one
seems to be some sort of apple tree. The fruit is about the size of a
cherry, but otherwise looks very similar in shape and color to a Red
Delicious. The tree itself is about 10-12 feet tall. Can anyone help me
identify it or point me to a helpful resource?

Thanks,
Laura

How do they taste? Are they coral pink in the middle, or white?
(it's unlikely you will ever find a definitive variety name for it)

Apple-y, a little tart. Kind of cream-to-yellow on the inside

My guess is it's a flowering crabapple.

That's probably it. It has a lot of fruit on it -- is there anything to "do"
with the fruit?

Thanks,
Laura

Old 03-09-2004, 09:27 PM
zxcvbob

Laura Faussone wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

Laura Faussone wrote:

We just moved to a house with a couple of fruit trees in the yard, one
seems to be some sort of apple tree. The fruit is about the size of a
cherry, but otherwise looks very similar in shape and color to a Red
Delicious. The tree itself is about 10-12 feet tall. Can anyone help me
identify it or point me to a helpful resource?

Thanks,
Laura

How do they taste? Are they coral pink in the middle, or white?
(it's unlikely you will ever find a definitive variety name for it)

Apple-y, a little tart. Kind of cream-to-yellow on the inside

My guess is it's a flowering crabapple.

That's probably it. It has a lot of fruit on it -- is there anything to "do"
with the fruit?

Thanks,
Laura

Jelly, pickles, or use them to flavor a batch of mead (which would
actually make it a cyser)

Bob

Old 04-09-2004, 08:56 PM
simy1

zxcvbob wrote in message ...
Laura Faussone wrote:

Jelly, pickles, or use them to flavor a batch of mead (which would
actually make it a cyser)

Bob

if you use them to flavor table apple cider, then it will make an
acceptable hard cider (1/4 or so crabapples, less if you can put some
tart apple in the mix). but, you have to have a press, cider mills
will not let you press your own for fear of bacterial contamination.
the pomace of crabapples is also a lot gummier than apple pomace, and
fouls their piping. if you don't have a press, flowering crabapples
are best used for spring displays, and winter bird attractors.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Harry Culpepper

wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:52:28 -0400, Laura Faussone
wrote:

We just moved to a house with a couple of fruit trees in the yard, one
seems to be some sort of apple tree. The fruit is about the size of a
cherry, but otherwise looks very similar in shape and color to a Red
Delicious. The tree itself is about 10-12 feet tall. Can anyone help me
identify it or point me to a helpful resource?

Sounds like a crabapple tree to me.

This does not sound like a crabapple to me. I grew up on a place that had
about 8 huge crabapple trees on it and the fruit on them was red inside and
out.

Pat

--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful

Old 05-09-2004, 02:03 AM
zxcvbob

wrote:

We just moved to a house with a couple of fruit trees in the yard, one
seems to be some sort of apple tree. The fruit is about the size of a
cherry, but otherwise looks very similar in shape and color to a Red
Delicious. The tree itself is about 10-12 feet tall. Can anyone help me
identify it or point me to a helpful resource?

Sounds like a crabapple tree to me.

This does not sound like a crabapple to me. I grew up on a place that had
about 8 huge crabapple trees on it and the fruit on them was red inside and
out.

A crabapple is any apple tree that bears fruit less than 2" in diameter.
I read that somewhere.

My employer has flowering crabapple trees that have kind of large single
white flowers with just a tint of pink, and the apples are hard, sour
(but not unplesantly so), and white fleshed. The largest are about an
inch in diameter. I pick a few and eat them sometimes in the morning on
my way in to work.

I've picked some other crabapples around town that had coral colored
flesh. Those trees had dark pink blooms; I never got up close when they
were blooming to see if they were double or single flowers.

The local orchard sells a crabapple that I think is named "Chestnut" (or
maybe it's "Whitney"), and those are sweet and tasty little apples about
1.5" to 2" on diameter.

I think the color of the crabapple flesh has more to do with just how
much red pigment the tree produces, and the color of the blooms is a
good indicator for that.

Best regards,
Bob