Old 11-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Starbob

Default a few questions on the basics of peach tree care

Hi All;
I recently planted a few peach trees and was hoping someone might
be able to give me the low down on when the best time to fertilize is
and what to use. Also, what bugs/diseases should I look out for and how
can I treat them.
In case the answers are dependent on region, I'm zone 6 in the
Northeast. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. Cheers-

Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 AM
sherwindu

Hi Bob,
I maintain my Redhaven and Elberta Peach trees by giving them a fungicide and/
or dormant oil spray before blossom set. After petal fall, follow through with a
general orchard spray, unless your trees are attacked by something very nasty.
I give the trees a cover of mulch and composted fertilizer in the fall. You can give
the trees something like Miracle Grow during the growing season. I'm in zone 5,
midwest, but the same holds for your region. Follow the directions on the spray
bottles, and wear protective clothing including a breather mask when spraying.

Good Luck,

Sherwin D.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Dwayne

You may also want to learn how to prune peach trees. They are pruned
differently from apples, pears and plums. The center of the peach and
apricot tree should be opened up to the sun. Call your extension agent or
check out a book.

I also plant garlic around the bottoms of all my fruit trees. When we lived
in Arkansas someone told me that it helps keep some of the bugs/worms away.
I cant swear to it, but in my opinion it helps.

Dwayne

oups.com...