Old 24-06-2005, 09:50 PM
James

Default Fresh manure

Would hot shit still burn if I put it at the bottom of the hole and
plant transplants on top if it?

Old 25-06-2005, 05:07 AM
TQ

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would hot shit still burn if I put it at the bottom of the hole and
plant transplants on top if it?

I'm inclined to say yes. If it's 'hot,' then it's packin' a goodly amount
of nitrogen, which will burn your roots.

Old 25-06-2005, 07:19 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"James" wrote:

Would hot shit still burn if I put it at the bottom of the hole and
plant transplants on top if it?

Probably...

I'd use it as a "tea" personally.
--
Om.

Old 25-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Steve

No, actually it wouldn't.
Whether it's a good idea depends on what you are transplanting over it.
Probably not a good idea for cabbage. Much better for pumpkins.
The one and only way I was ever able to grow edible melons up here was
to dig a trench about 14 inches deep, fill it almost level full of very
fresh horse manure and then put the soil I dug out, back on top. This
created a raised bed where I placed melon transplants. Two days later, a
soil thermometer stuck into the raised bed was 15 to 20 degrees warmer
than soil a few feet away. I also covered the ridge with black plastic
(before the plants went in), which was a part of why the raised bed was
warmer.
With both watermelon and muskmelon, the difference is like day and
night. Ten times as much vine growth in our cool climate.

Steve in the Adirondacks
Old 25-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Dwayne

Asparagus roots planted with 2 inches of dirt between the roots and the
manure will grow like crazy. What you have to look out for is what had been
eaten to generate the manure. Horse manure will produce a lot of grain
plants coming up around what ever you planted on top of it. The same with
chicken and several other manures. I feel it is best to get aged (2 years)
manure mixed with top soil, and use that, unless you are going to cover it
with plastic, newspaper, cardboard, or cloth and plant your stuff in homes
in the cover. Don't do asparagus that way.

Dwayne
oups.com...

Old 26-06-2005, 02:02 AM
JonquilJan

Depends on what ind of manure you are using. Poultry manure (chicken,
turkeys) is much more concentrated than equine (horse, donkey, mule) manure
and will definitely burn roots. Cattle manure is about in between and may
or may not burn. Aged manure is best in any case. A manure tea is suitable
for transplants. To make the tea, put manure (horse -cattle manure
preferred) is some sort of a sack (feed sack work well) and dunk it into a
bucket (3 or 5 gallon) or water. Let it sit for 30 minutes or longer,
occasionally sloshing the sack around. Then remove the sack and dole out
the water (should now be a deep 'tea;' color) around the transplants.

Lots of ways to do this - just my personal method.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying
oups.com...