Old 19-07-2005, 04:44 PM
FriscoSoxFan

Default Tomato Problem ID

Here's a pictu

http://www.teachersassistant.net/ckr...s/DSC00300.JPG

Yellowy spots all over, the tomato feels slightly sticky. THere are
little (1/4 inch) amber colored insects on the plants with two small
black dots that run on thier backs near the tail.

What are they, what do I use to kill them, and how do I keep them away?

I'm not averse to chemicals.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Old 19-07-2005, 04:53 PM
FriscoSoxFan

Based upon intenet searches, they are definietly not stinkbugs or
aphids. I wish the macro lens on my digital was better. My film SLR
would get it, but I'm too lazy to burn a roll!

Oh, I don't know what zone, but I'm in Dallas. My cherry tomatos don't
seem to have this problem.

Old 19-07-2005, 10:15 PM
kurtk

FriscoSoxFan wrote:
Here's a pictu

http://www.teachersassistant.net/ckr...s/DSC00300.JPG

Yellowy spots all over, the tomato feels slightly sticky. THere are
little (1/4 inch) amber colored insects on the plants with two small
black dots that run on thier backs near the tail.

What are they, what do I use to kill them, and how do I keep them away?

I'm not averse to chemicals.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Stinkbugs or a derivative. Some liquid sevin should help to ward them off.

Old 20-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Pat Kiewicz

FriscoSoxFan said:

Here's a pictu

http://www.teachersassistant.net/ckr...s/DSC00300.JPG

Yellowy spots all over, the tomato feels slightly sticky. THere are
little (1/4 inch) amber colored insects on the plants with two small
black dots that run on thier backs near the tail.

What are they, what do I use to kill them, and how do I keep them away?

I'm not averse to chemicals.

This looks like the damage of some sort of true bug (Hemiptera), possibly
the tarnished plant bug or a close relative.

http://www.gnb.ca/0171/20/0171200010-e.asp
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/..._plant_bug.htm
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/factsh...hplantbug.html

Fall and earlyspring cleanup of host plants/sheltering areas is considered
vital. (Well, too late for that now, but important later.)

Pyrethroid-type insecticides recommended as the first choice (this is a
non-selective insecticide and will wipe out beneficials as well as the pest).
Sabadilla is a often recommended for 'true bug' control but may be hard to
find. Soap sprays may offer some control. This site recommends some
pesticides, but most of them sound like restricted use types:

http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/...cts/92-108.htm

(attributed to Don Marti)