Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default is my carbon insert removing nutrients I'm trying to add?

What are anyones opinions on carbon filter inserts? I'm doing PMDD right now
with traces and I'm worried that the activated carbon might be removing most
of the nutrients that I'm dosing twice a week. Could this be true? I have
been noticing much less algae growth since doing PMDD...but not enough---are
the plants being robbed of these nutrients?

Thanx!!!

P.S. I've removed the carbon insert after tonight's water change and
dosings...I'm going to try it for the next 3 weeks and see what kind of
results I get. Hopefully my water won't get yellow or anything

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old 19-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Dave Millman

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

What are anyones opinions on carbon filter inserts? I'm doing PMDD right now
with traces and I'm worried that the activated carbon might be removing most
of the nutrients that I'm dosing twice a week. Could this be true?

From the group FAQ:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertil...ar-carbon.html

Old 20-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Hmmm...very interesting. Well I think I'll go without the carbon...it looks
like some of the elements deplete quite drastically over the first few
hours. Today I actually put in another foam insert into my aquaclear
filter...so now I have two--hopefully this will be ok. What do you think?

thanx
Dave.

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

What are anyones opinions on carbon filter inserts? I'm doing PMDD right

now
with traces and I'm worried that the activated carbon might be removing

most
of the nutrients that I'm dosing twice a week. Could this be true?

From the group FAQ:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertil...ar-carbon.html

Old 20-03-2003, 03:32 AM
NetNews

I haven't used carbon (in filters) regularly for years.

I've only used it to remove certain compounds from the water before that.

You won't need it. Unless you've got something that's leaking tannins, etc.

Lee