Maximum PSI Pressure created by DIY CO2

Old 27-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Jimmy

Default Maximum PSI Pressure created by DIY CO2

Ive seen beer bottles explode, I would think 50 PSI would not be to far
fetched.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
Does anyone know what kind of PSI pressure I could expect to get from

using
DIY CO2. I'm not only talking about the initial burst of CO2 usuall
ountered, but how much PSI does the fermentation process produce though
out it's life. I'm just wondering about estimates (ie: 1-3 PSI, or like
50-70 PSI ?)

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know the anwer will depend on how large the container is and how
much CO2 is bled off, so let's assume a standard 2 L bottle and a bubble
rate of 1 bubble every 2 seconds. Thanks again.

Old 27-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Max Allan

I don't recommend trying to pressurise CO2 from a yeast / fermentation.
I used to make beer and have exploded glass bottles. I don't know what
sort of pressure glass bottles are supposed to take, but plastic bottles
(like for coke) can normally take around 10 bar (150PSI) before they
suffer catastrophic failure. The pressure gives the drink it's fizz.

I do not recommend testing this unless you are slightly mad, danger does
not scare you and your medical insurance covers injuries due to
stupidity. However :
take:
one bicycle 'track' pump with high pressure capability ( 10 bar)
one plastic bottle
one old inner tube

Remove the valve from the tube and drill the bottle lid to fit. Make
sure this is a good seal. Leave a flange around the bottom of the valve
so it doesn't push through the hole in the lid.
Connect it all together in a way you can easily imagine and start pumping.

Wait for the loud explosion and feeling you have been punched in the
stomach. Stop pumping, laugh maniacally and do it all again.
Half filling the bottle with water can add to the 'fun'. Don't do this
with glass bottles.

(sorry - totally off topic)
Max

Old 27-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Jonathan Peakall

In a sealed container, pressure will go over about 120 psi before the
pressure starts to slow down yeast production. Then it slows down, but I
don't know when it stops.

However, the question was about an "open" system. I used a check valve as a
pressure relief on my DIY system to prevent over pressure.

Jonathan

m...