Old 08-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Algea in the undergravel filter (on purpose)

I was just reading one of the post on the krib
(http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/algae-ugf.html) about growing algea in an
undergravel filter. It apparently eliminated the algea bloom usuall
ountered when setting up a new tank, as well as preventing algea from
ever setting in (I know you can prevent algea by over planting and making
sure the plants grow perfectly, however, this method seems really
interesting too, without the need to control everything just so). I was
wondering if the original poster (Wright Huntley) might still be around and
maybe have an update for us as to how things have turned out over the last
two years. Or if he's not around, maybe we could discuss this idea a bit.
What does everyone think of it? Does it seem reasonable?

Thanks,
Harry

Old 09-04-2003, 02:20 AM

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message ...
I was just reading one of the post on the krib
(http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/algae-ugf.html) about growing algea in an
undergravel filter. It apparently eliminated the algea bloom usuall
ountered when setting up a new tank, as well as preventing algea from
ever setting in (I know you can prevent algea by over planting and making
sure the plants grow perfectly, however, this method seems really
interesting too, without the need to control everything just so). I was
wondering if the original poster (Wright Huntley) might still be around and
maybe have an update for us as to how things have turned out over the last
two years. Or if he's not around, maybe we could discuss this idea a bit.
What does everyone think of it? Does it seem reasonable?

Thanks,
Harry

Wright's still around. I doubt you'll find much support for algae.
Less algae is better for plant tanks. UG filters are not what folks
want for the plants either.

If you don't have any plants etc, then this will help some, but so
would adding floating plants like water sprite etc.
Floating plants only need nutrients to do well since they already get
lots of light and plenty of CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 09-04-2003, 08:21 PM
NetMax

[...]

Seems completely reasonable to me. You might want to do it in some sort
of in-line plant sump instead of under the UGF. While this is more
hardware, it gives you access & control to farming your algae crop.
Alternately, shine the light from the back of the tank on to an opaque
screen growing your crop. Besides controlling where you have algae, I
bet the water would be pristine.

NetMax

Old 09-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Harry Muscle

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

So it does sound reasonable that one would be able to limit the algea growth
to just the area where I want it to be? The only reason why I would shy
away from just trying this would because of the fear that the algea would
end up spreading to the rest of the tank.

Anybody have experience with an algal scrubber (which is what this basically
is). Does the algea have a tendency of spreading to the rest of the tank,
or is it happy staying where you want it to be?

Thanks,
Harry