Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mark Newcomb

Default Undergravel heater, sand and flourite

Hi;
I have a 125 gallon for which I purchased a Dupla undergravel heater. I was
about to add flourite (my favorite substrate), when I looked at Peter
Hiscock's Aquarium Designs. On page 29 hes says that you "must" use silver
sand to cover the cables.

Does anyone knnow if I do need silver sand as a bottom layer?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article o2Rsg.5378$pB.2554@trnddc06,
Mark Newcomb wrote:
Hi;
I have a 125 gallon for which I purchased a Dupla undergravel heater. I was
about to add flourite (my favorite substrate), when I looked at Peter
Hiscock's Aquarium Designs. On page 29 hes says that you "must" use silver
sand to cover the cables.

Does anyone knnow if I do need silver sand as a bottom layer?

The original Dupla book which shows the cable installation in several
places doesn't mention silver sand at all and doesn't mention anything
in particular with gravel other than don't use fine sand which packs
too tightly.

Don't sweat it.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mark Newcomb

Thanks - I just didn't want to get it done and then find out I messed up.
It is appreciated.

Mark

Old 12-07-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Mark Newcomb wrote:
Hi;
I have a 125 gallon for which I purchased a Dupla undergravel heater. I was
about to add flourite (my favorite substrate), when I looked at Peter
Hiscock's Aquarium Designs. On page 29 hes says that you "must" use silver
sand to cover the cables.

Does anyone knnow if I do need silver sand as a bottom layer?

Thanks

Heating cables do not do anything, you wasted your $$. You might feel
better spending more on your tank, but these do not help plant growth
in anyway.

I've used them for 10 years on 7 different tanks.

They do not do anything.
Tropica, one of the largest growers of aquatic plants also agrees.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Flourite + Sand Substrate a good idea? SteveC Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 18-07-2003 10:14 AM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Flourite + Sand Substrate a good idea? SteveC Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 27-05-2003 05:20 AM