Old 23-08-2006, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Java Moss Help

Just need some advice about java moss..

Need to grow the stuff to feed my crayfish...what is ideal conditions
for it? light conditions, fert etc

Also can someone tell me if this is a FAST or SLOW growing plant? I am
seeing mentions of both on the internet!??!

Old 23-08-2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Mariachi wrote:
Also can someone tell me if this is a FAST or SLOW growing plant? I am
seeing mentions of both on the internet!??!

It's a weed. At least in my 20g long tank with a regular Eclipse hood.
No fertilizers and inhabitants include 3 small rainbows, 9 cardinal
tetras, 1 small albino ancistrus, and a bunch of different shrimp species.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 24-08-2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article .com,
Mariachi wrote:
Just need some advice about java moss..

Need to grow the stuff to feed my crayfish...what is ideal conditions
for it? light conditions, fert etc

Also can someone tell me if this is a FAST or SLOW growing plant? I am
seeing mentions of both on the internet!??!

To grow java moss keep it wet. It really doesn't need much else.

With high light, lots of ferts and co2 it can be fast growing. With
less light, nutrients and carbon it can be fast growing.

It's virtually unkillable.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 24-08-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

When it grows. I've just recently had a 90 FULL of the stuff, but I
went through several false starts with it. I suspect the java moss I
previously got from my LFS was dead just still green.

BTW, I think folks sometimes confuse Java Moss and Java Fern in terms
of rate of growth. It's been my experience that Java Fern is a pretty
slow grower.

Richard Sexton wrote:
It's virtually unkillable.

Old 26-08-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

It was probably dead. If I buy the stuff from my
wholesaler, it will do the same thing. So I make sure it's
growing well in my tanks. It grows fast enough in my tanks
to keep up with the demand, but I don't dare buy it from
my wholesaler, otherwise it will go from dead green to
dead brown :-)

Wayne Sallee
Wayne's Pets

Richard Sexton wrote on 8/24/2006 6:31 PM:
In article . com,
wrote:
When it grows. I've just recently had a 90 FULL of the stuff, but I
went through several false starts with it. I suspect the java moss I
previously got from my LFS was dead just still green.

Nah, brown when dead, green when alive. Maybe it ran out of food. It'll
do that sometimes.

BTW, I think folks sometimes confuse Java Moss and Java Fern in terms
of rate of growth. It's been my experience that Java Fern is a pretty
slow grower.

Agreed.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Do you let it float around or weigh it down with a rock or something?

Thanks

Old 04-09-2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Either's fine -- you can use something like fishing line to secure it
to a rock/driftwood and it will eventually root itself to it (its roots
are primarily used as anchors)