Old 22-04-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Duckweed Source

Does anyone know of a trustworthy source for duckweed on the web?

BV
http://www.iheartmypond.com

Old 23-04-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Are you sure your not looking for some Duck butter there Benign
Pudding boy? I think its duck butter that your searching for!

-------
Old 23-04-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

In article .com,
wrote:
Does anyone know of a trustworthy source for duckweed on the web?

People BUY that stuff? I consider it a pest at best a noxious weed at worst.

If you lived near me I'd give you garbage bags full of the crap.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On Apr 23, 1:01 pm, (Richard Sexton) wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
Does anyone know of a trustworthy source for duckweed on the web?

People BUY that stuff? I consider it a pest at best a noxious weed at worst.

If you lived near me I'd give you garbage bags full of the crap.

Duckweed is important if you are running a natural low-tech tank.
Instead of changing the water you scoop out some of the duckweed. The
only water that gets changed in my tank is whatever is in the
biofilter when I clean it.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

wrote:
Does anyone know of a trustworthy source for duckweed on the web?

People BUY that stuff? I consider it a pest at best a noxious weed at worst.

If you lived near me I'd give you garbage bags full of the crap.

Duckweed is important if you are running a natural low-tech tank.
Instead of changing the water you scoop out some of the duckweed. The
only water that gets changed in my tank is whatever is in the
biofilter when I clean it.

Floating plants also help to shade other plants when you have too much
light. I have 120W of fluorescent on my 29 gallon tank.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

ps.com...

wrote:
Does anyone know of a trustworthy source for duckweed on the web?

People BUY that stuff? I consider it a pest at best a noxious weed
at worst.

If you lived near me I'd give you garbage bags full of the crap.

Duckweed is important if you are running a natural low-tech tank.
Instead of changing the water you scoop out some of the duckweed.
The
only water that gets changed in my tank is whatever is in the
biofilter when I clean it.

That's really interesting. I ended up with
some duckweed in one of my tanks,
probably due to adding a plant, and now
it's in all my tanks. I scoop it out
periodically and give it to my pond
goldfish. I find it a mild annoyance but
I've never tried very hard to get rid of
it entirely. Sounds like it's actually doing
some good!

I still do partial water changes, but only
about once a month. So far all my
fish seem healthy.

Gail

Old 08-05-2007, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

wrote:
Does anyone know of a trustworthy source for duckweed on the web?

People BUY that stuff? I consider it a pest at best a noxious weed at worst.

If you lived near me I'd give you garbage bags full of the crap.

Duckweed is important if you are running a natural low-tech tank.
Instead of changing the water you scoop out some of the duckweed. The
only water that gets changed in my tank is whatever is in the
biofilter when I clean it.

Ah! So there's a name for my particular brand of aquatic neglect.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

On May 8, 1:10 am, (Richard Sexton) wrote:
In article om,

wrote:
Does anyone know of a trustworthy source for duckweed on the web?

People BUY that stuff? I consider it a pest at best a noxious weed at worst.

If you lived near me I'd give you garbage bags full of the crap.

Duckweed is important if you are running a natural low-tech tank.
Instead of changing the water you scoop out some of the duckweed. The
only water that gets changed in my tank is whatever is in the
biofilter when I clean it.

Ah! So there's a name for my particular brand of aquatic neglect.

If you let it go the duckweed will eventually screen out all the
light. This is why many aquatic plants secrete allelochemicals that
stymie duckweed growth (and even more importantly, algae). Many
plants can stop floaters from germinating, and some lilies can
actually kill duckweed outright. If you change the water frequently
this will not happen because the allelochems will be removed, but it
should be said that many aquatic plants have similar effects on each
other and the interactions are difficult to sort out. If you run a
natural tank like I do then you have to find out the hard way which
plants are being stunted by others.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Registered User

Duckweed is important if you are active a accustomed low-tech tank. Instead of alteration the baptize you beat out some of the duckweed. The only baptize that gets afflicted in my catchbasin is whatever is in the biofilter if I apple-pie it.
hydroponic grow lights