Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Stuart Mueller

Default Leaving off hte lights

I was just wondering what the effect of leaving off the lights for a day or
so was on the plants.

Some of the cures for algae are to leave the lights off, but what effect
does this have on the plants? at present my lights are on for about 13hrs a
day?

Stu

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Jason Judkins

Leaving the lights off for a day won't really do anything to your algae...
and your plants wont hurt at all (again, only if this is just for a day)...
BUT, take this into consideration... If you leave your lights off, your
plants will tend to grow toward the greatest source of light.. (I.e. ambient
room light outside the tank)... So if you do leave your lights off for a
24hr period, your plants might have a new tilt to them

However, I might say again that turning your lights off wont really help
your algae problem. (in the long term it would, but you dont want to leave
your lights off for the long term.

I would suggest altering your water chemistry first... or possibly
introducing a few snails, and maybe a couple more plecos or loaches.

. ..

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
zeek

Some of the cures for algae are to leave the lights off, but what effect
does this have on the plants? at present my lights are on for about 13hrs

day?

Since plant growth takes place when the lights are OFF I find that
leaving them off a day (or two) once a month or so can stimulate
growth spurts. The plants collect and store energy during the day, and
use it during the night.

I 'discovered' this on my own while battling greenwater several years
ago. I went off on a buisness trip for several days, leaving the
lights off and the sides of the tank wrapped in opaque trash bags.
Upon my return the plants had grown considerably!
Of course you don't want them to use *all* their stored energy,
because it weakens them and you may begin to experience negative
results.

zeek
Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Aquatic-store.com

Plants will do fine!!!

Marcus
Http://www.Aquatic-Store.com

Old 23-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered User

With the growing awareness of energy saving alternatives, they want to know if more energy when left permanently fluorescent. This is especially important information, the consumer is a lot of fluorescent lighting in a large space.
Hydroponics Supplies

Something leaving 1 - 2" bare trails in grass - what is it? Pelvis Popcan Gardening 3 21-08-2003 02:42 PM
Leaving my algae in the dark James Williams Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 24-07-2003 02:23 AM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:22 AM
Buzzards are Leaving cat daddy Texas 12 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-02-2003 02:54 PM