Old 20-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Nick L-S

Default Lighting - What is better? CF vs Fluoro

Hi all;

I'm looking at getting some decent plant growth, and for that i need
more light. I have a 2ft tank which is about 60 Liters, with fish and
plants, the plants are pretty sickly, never had any real growth. At the
moment i have a standard steel lighting unit, which has 1 18 W globe in
it. I think i need more light

I am tossing up between a compact fluroescent unit, and a dual globe
mirrored fluroescent.

I'm looking at buying from he
http://www.adelaideaquariums.com.au/.../lighting.html
(click on compact fluorescent for the CF unit im thinking of (the PR
units, not the dupla ones), or Aqua-one mirrored units for the others).

As far as cost goes, the CF is only about 20 AUD more than the Aqua one
unit, so that doesnt matter. The thing im worred about is that the CF
unit comes with ONE 36W bright white tube, whereas the standard fluro
comes with TWO 24W tubes.

Now, as i dont know much about lighting, which one would be the best to
get, for my application? As i say, cost doesnt matter, i just want the
best performance.

Thanks all!

-nick

Old 20-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Jody

Look again. The Aqua-one has two 24 INCH tubes, not 24 watts. They are two
20W bulbs. So, it is one 36W CF vs. 40W of standard fluoro. I would go
with the CF; they are more efficient, brighter, and the reflectors are
usually better.

Jody

Old 20-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Nick L-S

Thanx Jody,

I knew what i meant to say, it just came out wrong. 24inches of
2x20watts. Which is beaten by 1x36W of CF.

thanks

nick

Old 30-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered User

Lighting can also be on the water, in order to enhance beauty or small pond waters. They combine to make a small contribution to the overall effect of the fountain.