Old 07-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Ron Kundla

Default Ramshorn shell color? (was multipart question: planted malawi cichlid tank)

I just put pressurized CO2 into my 54gal corner tank and with the
current bubble rate, the pH is 7 and the KH is 8. (approx 24ppm CO2)

Water out of the tap is pH of 8 with a GH of 11 and KH of 10.

I did notice these lines on the snails while I was trying to put DIY
CO2 into the tank and the pH never dropped below 7.6.

On a side note, I have a 20gal hex that has the same water in it, low
light and only two small wendtiis. The one snail I put in there looks
great, a deep dark reddish-brown. No white on its growth lines on its
shell.

Maybe I can get a picture for a better assessment.

Thanks for the help!

Ron

On 07 Feb 2003 12:09:16 GMT, tose (LeighMo) wrote:

I have some mature ramshorn snails (brownish-red) that appear to have
whitish lines that correspond to their growth patterns. Young
ramshorns look normal.

Would this be a calcium problem?

Probably not, if the young snails are doing okay. If calcium is scarce, the
young snails' shells get transparent.

What's the pH of your tank?

If the pH is low, the older snails' shells may get white. The younger snails
are protected, because they are still growing.

If it's only a few white lines, I wouldn't worry about it. If the pH is really
low, the shells may actually dissolve, getting so weak and soft that they can't
support the snail. The whole shell will turn white, and tiny pits and holes
will appear. Eventually, the snail will die.

Leigh

Old 08-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Ron Kundla

Thanks for your help Leigh!

Ron

On 08 Feb 2003 12:05:41 GMT, tose (LeighMo) wrote:

I wouldn't worry. Your water seems to be plenty hard enough for snails. My
snails are a lot whiter than that, and they're fine.

Leigh