Old 18-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Bob A

Default Calcium requirements

One other question, since I'm now using RO/DI water, and RO Right, the RO
Right does not register on my GH test. The (TINY) instructions on the
packaging say that typically GH tests measure Ca and apparently there isn't
much in RO Right.

How important is Ca in an aquarium, both to the fish and to the plants?

Someone suggested "pool water hardener" but I'm concerned that 1. Would I
really know what's in it, 2. Anything that is for a pool, must be very
highly concentrated.

My thought is crushed coral in the filter, is this a good idea, and is there
anyone out there near the ocean who'd help me out with some via postal
service? I'm willing to pay the shipping costs plus $3-4 bucks for your
time. I assume (?) that just maybe an ounce of seashells that I could crush
would do the trick?

I'm posting this here instead of marketplace because I need to know if this
is the right idea.

thanks,

bob

Old 19-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Christopher

I bought 10lbs of crushed coral at the LFS for $12, I bagged two bags of it
in a fine mesh bag and put them in one layer of one of my fluval 404
canister filters, now the water in one of hte filters has to pass through
the crushed coral, which I assume will leech calcium into the water. I just
did this last week so I don't know how effective it is but for $12 I will
have more crushed coral than I could ever use

Old 19-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Dave Millman

Bob A wrote:

One other question, since I'm now using RO/DI water, and RO Right, the RO
Right does not register on my GH test. The (TINY) instructions on the
packaging say that typically GH tests measure Ca and apparently there isn't
much in RO Right.

For a complete label printout, go to:

Old 19-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Dave Millman

Bob A wrote:

One other question, since I'm now using RO/DI water, and RO Right, the RO
Right does not register on my GH test. The (TINY) instructions on the
packaging say that typically GH tests measure Ca and apparently there isn't
much in RO Right.

How important is Ca in an aquarium, both to the fish and to the plants?

For a complete label printout, go to:

http://www.kentmarine.com/ror.html

Key quote:

"General hardness or GH tests usually only measure calcium & magnesium content
and are a poor substitute. Do not greatly exceed the recommended teaspoons even
if your test indicates different!"

I use pure reconstituted RO water in my tank (no tap water). I use one teaspoon
per 10 gallons of change water for a 30% weekly change. My plants show no signs
of calcium deficiency. Snail and shrimp shells do fine too.

Do you have actual indications of a calcium deficiency, or is this a general
concern?

Old 20-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Bob A

Thanks Dave, yes I read this on the container, albeit by straining.

Its a general concern. I just started using the RO/DI water. For one thing
I can't measure my GH with my current test kit, none registers. I am using
pretty much exactly what you are using, and same water change routine. Also
a *touch* of sodium bicarbonate, enough to make my KH 3-4.

Believe me, I'd much rather I had useable tap-water.

thanks,

bob