Old 18-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Bio-spira seems to be working fine

Sherry Michael Weller wrote:

but you can't declare that 'it's working fine' on day 3 or
4 or a cycle.

True, it's not conclusive proof, but rather just another data point.
He's presenting nothing except his experience thus far, which is clear
from his post. At this point, it is "working fine". That may change
later - time will tell.

I for one am grateful to Victor for posting his results as he tries
this product. Especially since he's trying it with a relatively large
fish load.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
LeighMo

12 inches of fish plus shrimp should produce enough waste in 20 gallons of
water. This is day 4 and still no ammonia readings.

I'm with Sherry. Keep measuring.

And what I'm saying is that this product is supposed to avoid cycling
altogether. That is the point of it and all its claims. If I'm going to
do a traditional cycling why would I waste money on this?

And I think that's exactly what you've done: wasted money. g Bio-spira
seems to be a better product than Cycle, but still, if you have an
already-established tank, you already have the best way to jump start a cycle.
There's no way anything in a bottle will be as good as mulm from an established
tank. Especially if it's your own tank. Bio-spira is just an artificial
version of mulm from an established tank. A very expensive artificial version.

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Victor M. Martinez

LeighMo wrote:
And I think that's exactly what you've done: wasted money. g Bio-spira

The jury is still out on this one.

tank. Especially if it's your own tank. Bio-spira is just an artificial
version of mulm from an established tank. A very expensive artificial version.

It's not artificial at all! It's actual, live bacteria. Nothing artificial
about it. Have you read their papers?

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
LeighMo

It's not artificial at all! It's actual, live bacteria. Nothing artificial
about it. Have you read their papers?

Yes, I've read their papers.

But there's no way I would spend money on this stuff. It's just a bottled
version of mulm from an established tank. There's no way it can have the
natural variety and diversity of the bacteria from a real tank.

There's some evidence that different species of bacteria serve as biological
filters in fishtanks, depending on water parameters such as hardness, pH,
temperature, etc. That's why mulm from a local tank, especially your own, is
best, since presumably the water conditions would be similar.

If I didn't have an established tank handy, I might shell out for something
like Bio-spira. But why would I, when I have all the bacteria I need, free in
my own tank? It's not like Bio-spira is some kind of super-powered bacteria.
At best, it's just like the stuff you already have in your established tank.
Convenient, if you don't have the real thing, but not better.

Leigh

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Sherry Michael Weller

It's not artificial at all! It's actual, live bacteria. Nothing artificial
about it. Have you read their papers?

Yes, I've read their papers.

And all these papers are is research on this bacteria. None of them are
tests of or proof of this product. The testimonials are nice, but not
facts. It's one thing to discover the action of and organism and another
to process it in a packet and have it sit on a shelf for a year. My
question is, what is keeping the 'actual live bacteria' alive?

Now if you want to test it, that's great. But you can't conclude that
it's working until you have given it enough time to work through a
traditional cycle timeframe. I certainly wouldn't potentially risk fish
and shrimp on it either.

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
JEB

LeighMo wrote:
And I think that's exactly what you've done: wasted money. g Bio-spira
seems to be a better product than Cycle, but still, if you have an
already-established tank, you already have the best way to jump start a cycle.

IMO, Cycle is worse than useless as it doesn't work, yet might lead
someone to think they're safe (until they find the floaters). I used it
with a cycling tank and got tremendous ammonia and nitrite spikes.
Fortunately I tested regularly.

James

Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
LeighMo

IMO, Cycle is worse than useless as it doesn't work, yet might lead
someone to think they're safe (until they find the floaters).

I agree. Leaving aside the argument about whether or not Cycle contains the
correct bacteria, there's little or no live bacteria at all in the average
bottle of Cycle.

And yet, some people swear it works, just as some people swear Bio-Spira works.
(Does the "placebo effect" apply to fishtanks?) That's why I'm skeptical of
testimonials.

Leigh