Which plants for Discus tank ?

Old 02-07-2003, 09:44 AM
KEITH JENNINGS

Default Which plants for Discus tank ?

I am getting some Discus fish in a few days, and I'm adding them to my
planted South-American tank.

I will need to raise the temp to 84-6 F for the Discus.

Which plants do well at 84 F or higher ?

I have these plants in the tank now :
Hygrophila species
North American water lilly ( species ? )
Amazon Swords
Dwarf Swords
Bananna plants
Hornwort
Anacharis

Which ones will be ok with the higher temp ?
Please point me to a good website if you don't want to type a long answer

Thanks in advance ;
Keith J.
Guys , the secret is - bang the rocks together.
BCA Counterstrike clan : http://mysite.verizon.net/res1g2wg/index.html

Old 02-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Iain Miller

"KEITH JENNINGS" wrote in message
I am getting some Discus fish in a few days, and I'm adding them to my
planted South-American tank.

I will need to raise the temp to 84-6 F for the Discus.

Mine are quite happy at 82/83

Which plants do well at 84 F or higher ?

I have these plants in the tank now :
Hygrophila species

Grows like mad

North American water lilly ( species ? )

I've got some kind of Lilly - grows like mad!

Amazon Swords

Grow like mad

Dwarf Swords

Grow like mad

Bananna plants
Hornwort
Anacharis

Dunno about these

Which ones will be ok with the higher temp ?

Annnubias do well

I've also got Twisted Vallis & Wisteria & Red Cabomba & Macaranda + some
other red-ish stuff I can't remember the names of!
All grow like mad!

My tank is 2ft tall (about 19ins of water) has 4 x 40W tubes over it &
bottled CO2 to about 15-20ppm

HTH

I.

Old 02-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Brown

--

Forget the N.A. water lily, the hornwort, and the anacharis. All are from
temperate climes, and are adapted to take the cold. They will fail in

Jim

Old 03-07-2003, 04:33 AM
Haywire

Jim that's where one of us technofiles can help.

Try these sites:

http://www.aquaticplantdepot.com/
http://www.dennerle.de/ENGLISCH/e_frameset.htm
http://www.tropica.com/default.asp
http://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/index.html

those should be able to give you a consensus as to what plants to try

"Jim Brown" wrote in
:

Old 03-07-2003, 06:09 AM
[email protected]

I will need to raise the temp to 84-6 F for the Discus.

Why?

It's not "required". I had and _bred_ my fish at 82F. They did great.
KH 5.5/GH9. Food and general care, not packing too many fish or
leaving uneaten food in the tank, frequent large water changes etc.
As long as you are not too far off, you will be fine.

Too many folks think these are delicate fish to be coddled or they
will die etc.

Some folks want to breed them. If you want to breed, learn to feed.
Best to focus on that aspect and move away from plants some, you can
have floating etc, but generally lots of water changes/feedings, bare
bottom tanks etc if breeding is the primary goal.

Which plants do well at 84 F or higher ?

Most all plants do well, Lace plants peter out at higher temps. Some
plants don't do quite as well as they might at 75-78F etc but
generally most do pretty well.

I have these plants in the tank now :
Hygrophila species
North American water lilly ( species ? )
Amazon Swords
Dwarf Swords
Bananna plants
Hornwort
Anacharis
Which ones will be ok with the higher temp ?
Thanks in advance ;
Keith J.

If you are growing these now say at 78-80F, it'll not change
dramatically at 84F etc.
Might try Egeria najas in place of regular old Anacharis.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 03-07-2003, 01:08 PM
KEITH JENNINGS

I guess I'll set the tank to 82 F and just remove any plants that do poorly.

Thanks everyone ;
Keith J.

om...