Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
JuanMa

Default 10gal. or smaller planted tank?

Greetings.

Can it be possible to have a planted tank which is 10gals or less(2.5gal)?

What kind of lighting and chemicals should I use to keep the plants healthy
and thriving?

Can aragonite sand be used in such a tank(how much)? What can I use to keep
the plants in their place? What about compatible fish for the planted tank?

The 2.5gal tank I haven't bought it yet. I have a 10gal, but no lighting yet.
What kind of light should I use if I go with the 2.5gal? Can one of those
daylight fluorescent bulbs fit in the 2.5gal hood? Would it produce enough
light for the plants, or should I go DIY PC?

If I don't find any ideal type of sand, what could be the alternatives?

What plants do you recommend that I should start with?

I was thinking for livestock if I go with the 2.5gal. some fancy guppies or
neon tetras or two angels. If I go with the 10gal. the livestock will be a
little more varied, but not too much.

I was told that aragonite sand can make the water too alkaline? will it make
it so, even if I wash the sand?

TIA

--
Take Care.

JuanMa

Please remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
LeighMo

Can it be possible to have a planted tank which is 10gals or less(2.5gal)?

Yes, it's possible, but it's difficult. See Amano's second book. It features
small planted aquariums, many under a gallon!

But it's a lot of work. You have to choose plants and fish very carefully.
You may also find that you need a lot more light per gallon than you would in a
larger tank.

What kind of lighting and chemicals should I use to keep the plants healthy
and thriving?

It depends on what kind of tank you want. If you want an Amano-style tank,
you'll need to inject CO2. And you may need 8 watts per gallon or more of
light.

Can aragonite sand be used in such a tank(how much)?

Generally, inert sand -- silica sand -- is preferred for freshwater tanks.

What about compatible fish for the planted tank?

Your choices will be very limited with such a small tank. Amano uses rasboras
and neon tetras in his smallest tanks. Amano shrimp and otocinclus for algae
control. But I'd be really hesitant to keep fish in such a small tank.

What kind of light should I use if I go with the 2.5gal? Can one of those
daylight fluorescent bulbs fit in the 2.5gal hood?

If you want a high-tech planted tank, you'll need power compact flourescent
lights.

What plants do you recommend that I should start with?

It really depends on whether you decide to go with high, moderate, or low
light. In any case, your small tank will dictate your choices. Small-leaved
plants will look a lot better in a small tank. And some plants simply get too
large to be kept in a 2.5 gallon tank.

I was thinking for livestock if I go with the 2.5gal. some fancy guppies or
neon tetras or two angels

No way can you keep angels in a tank this small. I wouldn't even keep them in
the 10 gallon tank. They get to be 8" high. They need deep tanks -- 24" or
so.

I wouldn't keep guppies in such a small tank, either. Guppies are active fish,
and need room.

I was told that aragonite sand can make the water too alkaline? will it make

it so, even if I wash the sand?

Yes. Aragonite is for sal****er tanks. Washing won't help, because it's the
sand itself that dissolves, making the water alkaline. Use silica sand
instead.

And if you are new, I really, really recommend you go with the 10 gallon tank.
The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. A small tank is very
unforgiving of mistakes.

If you do go with a 2.5 gallon tank, I recommend keeping just one Betta
splendens in it. It won't mind the cramped quarters.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
WD

"JuanMa" wrote in message
. ..
Greetings.

Can it be possible to have a planted tank which is 10gals or less(2.5gal)?

My daughter has a 5 gallon tank with 2 shubunkin, and a bunch of Java Fern.
Incandescent light, and the bloody ferns look healthier than in any of my
other tanks. Bright, Bright green, I have been pruning them for starts in
the other tanks.

billy

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
LeighMo

My daughter has a 5 gallon tank with 2 shubunkin, and a bunch of Java Fern.
Incandescent light, and the bloody ferns look healthier than in any of my
other tanks. Bright, Bright green, I have been pruning them for starts in
the other tanks.

Java fern are undemanding plants that don't need special lighting. They don't
need CO2 injection, special fertilizers, or special substrates, either. They
are a very good choice for beginners.

However, I hope you're planning to move those goldfish to a larger tank soon.
Goldfish grow fast and get huge. A 55 gallon tank is the minimum I would
consider for two goldfish.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Neil

Goldfish grow fast and get huge. A 55 gallon tank is the minimum I would
consider for two goldfish.

Leigh

200 litres! For two goldfish?! Excuse me but are you bonkers?

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
WD

"LeighMo" wrote in message

However, I hope you're planning to move those goldfish to a larger tank

soon.
Goldfish grow fast and get huge. A 55 gallon tank is the minimum I would
consider for two goldfish.

I have a couple larger tanks in the garage that could be set up in a matter
of hours. If she keeps them alive long enough for them to outgrow the five,
I'll get her a big'un

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
WD

"Neil" wrote in message
Goldfish grow fast and get huge. A 55 gallon tank is the minimum I would
consider for two goldfish.

Leigh

200 litres! For two goldfish?! Excuse me but are you bonkers?

No, she's not. A pair of 18 inch fish wouldn't be happy in anything smaller.
Under good conditions, they'll reach this size relatively fast.

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Neil

Apologies, of course if you're talking of fish that size, a large tank is
obviously necessary, but she didn't say how big the fish were.

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
WD

"Neil" wrote in message
Apologies, of course if you're talking of fish that size, a large tank is
obviously necessary, but she didn't say how big the fish were.

They're very small now. However, most varieties of goldfish, given the
proper conditions (ie, ample food and water without large concentrations of
poison) will grow to 'b' movie proportions. g

billy

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Eric Schreiber

"WD" wrote:

I have a couple larger tanks in the garage that could be set up in a matter
of hours. If she keeps them alive long enough for them to outgrow the five,
I'll get her a big'un

I wonder if I could get my wife to agree to that sort of arrangement.
I fell madly and deeply in love with a 135 gallon tank yesterday
afternoon.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
LeighMo

200 litres! For two goldfish?! Excuse me but are you bonkers?

LOL. Quite possibly, but if I am, so are a lot of goldfish experts.

Check out this article:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/li...ction=&RecordN
o=3769

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
LeighMo

They're very small now. However, most varieties of goldfish, given the
proper conditions (ie, ample food and water without large concentrations of
poison) will grow to 'b' movie proportions. g

Exactly. Goldfish can live for decades, but most people think they are
short-lived creatures that die in a few weeks or months. Because they do only
live for a few months in the cramped conditions most people keep them in.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
LeighMo

I have a couple larger tanks in the garage that could be set up in a matter
of hours. If she keeps them alive long enough for them to outgrow the five,
I'll get her a big'un

I wish you would consider setting up a larger tank now. If she succeeds in
keeping those goldfish alive in a tank that small for long, she'll be doing
better than many grown-up goldfish experts.

The recommended stocking level for goldfish is 20 to 30 gallons per fish,
regardless of the size of the goldfish.

For a five gallon tank, a Siamese Fighting Fish would be a better choice. Or
maybe a small school of neon or cardinal tetras.

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Vincent

Hi,

I just set up a 10 gal tank. In it are different species of anubias and
ferns. Livestocks includes 2 yamato shrimps, an oto, 2 SAE, 5 cardinals.

I used a 28w light and add a little of Florish trace elements every water
change. The plants look pretty healthy especially the anubias which sprouted
new plants after 3 days of setting up.

Tomorrow, I am going to inject some DIY CO2 into the system to see if there
are any different.

When all these are successful, its going to be gardening time for my new
100gal tank.

cheers
Vincent

Old 17-07-2003, 09:45 PM
S. Oung

LeighMo wrote:
Can it be possible to have a planted tank which is 10gals or less(2.5gal)?

Yes, it's possible, but it's difficult. See Amano's second book. It features
small planted aquariums, many under a gallon!

But it's a lot of work. You have to choose plants and fish very carefully.
You may also find that you need a lot more light per gallon than you would in a
larger tank.

[snip]
Leigh

Tell me more, I'm interested: why do smaller tanks need more
light/gallon? Because crowded plants shade each other more?

remove "deathtospam." to deactivate spam trap