GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [FAQ] Welcome to the Aquaria Newsgroups! 2004-01-04 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/49658-%5Bfaq%5D-welcome-aquaria-newsgroups-2004-01-04-a.html)

Flash Wilson 04-01-2004 03:32 PM

[FAQ] Welcome to the Aquaria Newsgroups! 2004-01-04

Welcome to the Aquaria Newsgroups!

1. Copyright.

The text for the Welcome (this posting), except for the copyright
paragraph, was written by Mark Stone. The Aquaria FAQs were compiled
and are maintained by Erik Olson. The articles incorporating the
FAQs were written by: Shaji Bhaskar, Gary Bishop, George Booth,
Rick Clark, Neil Frank, Bruce Hallman, Dean Hougen, Oleg Kiselev,
Dustin Laurence, Matt McCabe, Davin Milun, Thomas Narten, Erik
Olson, Jeff Pfohl, Howard Rebel, Mark A. Rosenstein, Thomas Sasala,
Anne Hull Seales, Elaine Thompson, Betsy Wilson, Don Wilson and
Todd Zebert.

Erik Olson writes:

The FAQs owe their existence to the contributors of the net, and
as such it belongs to the readers of rec.aquaria and alt.aquaria.
Articles with attributions are copyrighted by their original authors.
Copies of the FAQs can be made freely, as long as it is distributed
at no charge, and the disclaimers and the copyright notice are
included. Much of the material for this new FAQ comes from the FAQ
Working Group. We spent nearly a year initially putting this
collection of documents together, and hope you find them useful in
your aquaria endeavors. Since the FAQ is (we hope) an evolving
document, we'd appreciate any and all suggestions for material we
may have left out, factual changes, or just comments in general.
We'd also appreciate volunteers to replace our burnt-out set of
authors! Mail your comments or requests about the FAQs to faq at
thekrib.com (please use this address for FAQ development-related
topics only; pleas for help in diagnosing your sick fish will be
cheerfully ignored or redirected to the newsgroups). Thank you.

2. What Are the Aquaria FAQs?

FAQs are answers to the Frequently Asked Questions relating to
knowledge of modern fishkeeping and general Newsgroup usage. We
like to think that the Aquaria FAQs are especially important because
we are in a hobby that deals with live animals, and as such it is
imperative that information on fishkeeping be easily available and
as accurate as modern findings dictate.

So often people buy a new aquarium and a group of fishes before
doing research into the hobby and finding out what is required to
keep fish alive and healthy. Additionally, there has always been
the notion afloat that they are just fish and it doesnt matter if
they are unhealthy or die. It is the goal of the FAQs to dispel
this notion and to make information relating to fishkeeping easily
available and understandable, particularly to new fishkeeping
hobbyists. People that are experienced aquarists will find a wealth
of helpful information here, too!

3. Newsgroup Usage

Included in the Aquaria FAQs is an extensive section on newsgroup
usage, written by Todd Zebert. Here you will find information on
etiquette, posting guidelines, and other helpful topics. It is very
important to read this document before posting to the *.aquaria
newsgroups!

4. Where are the FAQs located?

In years past, the entire text of the FAQs was posted periodically
to the aquaria newsgroups in addition to news.answers. However, for
the purpose of brevity and for ease of use, it has been decided to
post links to the websites containing the FAQs in the body of this
introductory message instead of the FAQs themselves.

The FAQs are located at: http://faq.thekrib.com
http://www.actwin.com/fish/mirror/

A text version is available at: http://faq.thekrib.com/map.html

Non-English Versions: Finnish:
http://www.jmp.fi/~liaani/akvaario/aquafaq/ffaq.html French:
http://www.cyberaqua.org/faq Spanish: http://faq.thekrib.com/es/
Portuguese: http://faq.thekrib.com/pt/ Italian:
http://acquariofilia.hypermart.net Korean: http://www.insamo.pe.kr/faq

5. To What Newsgroups do these FAQs apply?

The groups currently covered by these FAQs a
rec.aquaria
rec.aquaria.marketplace
rec.aquaria.misc
rec.aquaria.tech