Old 09-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Craig Brye

Default UV sterilizer

What's everyone's ideas/opinions on UV Sterilizers? Does this lead to a healthier tank, or is it a waste of time? I've read where it might help with some forms of algae and maybe certain stages of fish diseases, but I would like people's experiences on this topic.

Thanks,

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Michi Henning

"Craig Brye" wrote in message
What's everyone's ideas/opinions on UV Sterilizers? Does this lead to a

healthier tank, or is it a waste of time?
I've read where it might help with some forms of algae and maybe certain

stages
of fish diseases, but I would like people's experiences on this topic.

Sterilizers are very effective against floating algae (green water) and
bacteria blooms. They also keep the germ count lower. (In aquaria,
germ count is much higher than in nature.) UV sterilizers also reduce
the likelyhood of some diseases, such as Ich.

On the downside, they seem to make trace element dosing less
effective because the UV breaks open the chelators, allowing
Iron to change from Fe2+ to Fe3+ more quickly. You can compensate
for that simply by adding trace elements more frequently. A
sterilizer also acts as a heater -- a 15W sterilizer is a 15W heater. If
you are struggling to keep the temperature low enough as is, the
sterilizer will make the problem (slightly) worse. Finally, the dang
things are a pain to clean. (Time between cleanings varies with
the tank. 3 month intervals are usually recommended.)

Bulb life is between 11 and 16 months, depending on whether
you have a conventional or an electronic ballast. And replacement
bulbs are fairly expensive (but shop around -- for a G15T8, I've
seen prices vary between $15 and $70).

Correct sizing and flow rate are important, otherwise the sterilizer
won't be effective. You may find the info in this post useful:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...bigpond.net.au

Cheers,

Michi.
--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

Old 10-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Craig Brye

Thanks for the info.

--

"Michi Henning" wrote in message
"Craig Brye" wrote in message
[...]

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...a.1739%40news-
server.bigpond.net.au

Cheers,

Michi.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:32 AM

"Craig Brye" wrote in message ...
What's everyone's ideas/opinions on UV Sterilizers? Does this lead to a
healthier tank, or is it a waste of time? I've read where it might help
with some forms of algae and maybe certain stages of fish diseases, but
I would like people's experiences on this topic.

Thanks,

Generally only useful for GW outbreaks, but not much besides that as
far as planted tanks are concerned.
Certainly would be a non eseential.
If you have one, use it only once a week after the water change, large
pruning for the next 24 hours after the disturbance.

That saves the life of the bulb etc.
As far as more trace being needed using one, I've never seen any
significant nor noticable difference, with or without.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 13-10-2004, 09:39 PM
ddss

In article , cny07431
@centurytel.net says...
What's everyone's ideas/opinions on UV Sterilizers? Does this lead to a healthier tank, or is it a waste of time? I've read where it might help with some forms of algae and maybe certain stages of fish diseases, but I would like people's experiences on this topic.

Thanks,

I've got one in my 110g planted tank for over 3 years, mainly to keep my
6 discus healthy. Seems to work and I have by chance 2 pairs that breed
often. Since I put in the uv, I've not had any disease outbreak, not
the case before I put it in.

I've had this tank in operation since 1993 (2001 started using the UV
because I added 6 discus) and do not see any difference in use of
fertilizer and since I use PMDD even if there was the cost would not
matter much.

DDD

Old 13-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Craig Brye

Thanks for the input. I think I might get one for my 75 gal. tank. I'm
going to start looking for one on sale.

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online