Report: Seachem Excel as algaecide

Old 30-03-2005, 07:43 PM
[email protected]

The moss balls, Cladphora never died nor even looked in poor health, I
did this , so if this is true Richard, why did not my Balls die?

I have two of them in one of the test tanks. They grow quite well.

So please explain why they did not die in my tank?
This is the same thing with PO4 excess = algae.

Other factors are at play here, it is naive to assume otherwise.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 30-03-2005, 07:46 PM
[email protected]

So adding CO2 would do the same thing if you provided a stable way to
give Carbon to the tank's plants, and algae......

Algae likes carbon as well, they prefer CO2 as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 30-03-2005, 08:00 PM
[email protected]

And when I've gone back and tested them on a controlled tank, they did
not have those effects.........
I've got algae killing and plant growing experience and ability to
tease apart the real causes.

Whgy did my Caldophora not die if, as Greg has said off record, it's an
algicide?
That implies it kills all algae.
Clearly it does not and I have no issue making these statements,
because I know I'm right about this side of the issue.

I have not stated what it is, but I have stated what it is NOT.
I can simply do a water change/pruning and the same thing can occur.
So is a water change or a pruning an algicide?
Is _not neglecting a tank_ an algicide?

There is no control with any thing folks have done on the APD/Here/APC
etc, or elsewhere I am aware of, when I did it with a control, it did
not occur. Nada. My control allows for stable conditions to occur and
good growth of the algae in question.

If that's not done, you really cannot say much.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 31-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Richard Sexton

Is Excel safe for invertebrates, snails to be specific?

Yes.

Copepods, paramecium, several species of shrimp and ramshorn
snails here don't mind it a bit.

(That's just cause they don't know it hurts algae. If they
did they might be annoyed.)

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 31-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Elaine T

[...]

Thinking aloud since I'm surprised by how little algae is in my Excel
tanks...

You said that there was CO2 in both of your tanks. I suspect many of us
are seeing "algicidal" activity in non-CO2 injected, Excel treated
tanks. Your experiment does not rule out the possiblilty that algae
cannot use the carbon from Excel as well as plants because there is
adequate carbon in both tanks. If algae cannot use Excel, then in
tanks like mine they are growing on only atmospheric C02 while the
plants have considerably more carbon available. That means the plants
should outcompete the algae.

How do your cladophora balls grow in low CO2 with Excel as the main
carbon source?

--
__ Elaine T __
__'
Old 31-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Margolis

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I couldn't agree more ;o)

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 01-04-2005, 12:41 AM
[email protected]

One of the sets of tanks are non CO2.
Same effect.

These tanks have had Claphora growing in them as well as BBA for about
3 months now.
I've tried dosing 2x the rec initial amount daily for a week, 2 weeks
and have not seen any impact.

If you add Excel to a non CO2 tank, that dramatic selects for the
plants.......... same as adding CO2:-) and at lower light that is
typical with non CO2 tanks...that's enough to supply the growth rate
for the plants.

So you have a couple of issues happening in non CO2 tanks.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 11-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Location: USA

It seems the poster who reported that Seachem Excel works as an
algaecide on top of being a source of organic carbon was right!
I had a lot of hair algae in my 110g heavily planted tank. So much that
the outflow of my eheim filter had to be scrubbed and cleaned at least
once every two weeks. Algae grew very fast and was very happy.
I started dosing Excel daily for a week or so, then forgot about it.
Four weeks later (or so), almost all the algae is gone. I'll be sure to
order another large bottle of Excel to continue dosing as a preventative.
It works!
Old 20-04-2010, 04:29 PM

I really do not think it's an algaecide per se, but rather, it is bringing the
tank into a balance where the plants can out compete the algae.
__________________
Steam shower | Bathroom vanities | Faucets
Old 15-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

EncodeHD a href="http://mobifiless.sytes.net/oboi-na-telefon-samsung-e-840/igra-nu-pogodi-na-samsung-1071.html"игра ну погоди на samsung/a
- бесплатная и легкая в использовании утилита, которая благодаря наличию большого количества встроенных пресетов позволяет a href="http://xsystem-softz.ru/drayver-pinnacle-710-usb/mod-sobeit-rus-skachat-13353.php"мод sobeit rus скачать/a
быстро преобразовать любые типы видеофайлов в форматы, предназначенные для просмотра a href="http://mobifiless.sytes.net/oboi-720x320-dlya-samsung-s3650-720x320/skachat-asku-dlya-samsung-e350e-5203.html"скачать аську для samsung e350e/a
на различных приставках, плеерах и мобильных устройствах, как например Apple TV, BlackBerry, iPhone, a href="http://comonsoft.sytes.net/skachat-navitel-3-2-6/navitel-326-4570.php"навител 326/a
iPod 5G, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, Nokia E71, a href="http://comonsoft.sytes.net/android-dni-rozhdeniya-kalendar/navitel-navigator-32-avtoversiya-skachat-6938.php"навител навигатор 3.2 автоверсия скачать/a
Nokia N900, Playstation 3, PSP, Western Digital TV, X-Box 360, a href="http://nsystem-files.ru/minusovki-rep-pesen-skachat-besplatno/kamasutra-skachat-txt-14073.php"камасутра скачать txt/a
Zune и др.
Подпишись на обновление EncodeHD и ты первым узнаешь о a href="http://agentvn.ru/skachat-dlya-samsung-i900-witu/drayver-dlya-zhestkogo-diska-samsung-9466.html"драйвер для жесткого диска samsung/a
выходе новой версии!