Old 28-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Dr.

Default Clown Loaches v.s. Water Sprite.

Hi,

Probably nothing to worry about...

Yesterday I transferred some Water Sprite from my Q-Tank-turned-planted tank
to my main tank.

The Loaches seem to find it quite tasty. Not bad for them? They surely get
plenty of other food, including some Discus pellets they really groove on,
algae wafers, flakes that my Platies and Danios don't eat fast enough, and
occasional various freeze dried worms/plankton.

If it offers them some decent nutrition, I wouldn't mind buying them some
here and there as a snack...

They're doing great. I added them to the tank in early April. I took a pic
of them when I brought them home, and they looked so thin and unhealthy at
the time. Now they're getting quite big & fat, and are much more active and
only cruise off and hide if I move too quickly when observing them.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 28-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Elaine T

Dr. wrote:
[...]

Water sprite is good food for herbivorous and omnivorous fish. No worries.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 29-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Dr.

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
Water sprite is good food for herbivorous and omnivorous fish. No
worries.

Thanks for the info, Elaine. Seems the Platies like munching on it too.

Today I added a couple Crypts (sp?) and a few Moneywort from my Q tank to
the main tank. So far those are being left alone.

This is snowballing so terribly. I got my 3rd tank filled today and picked
up a new filter, heater, and a Satellite light fixture for it. Ouch. At
least the tank (40 gallon hex w/stand) only cost me $35 at a garage sale.
Also picked up one of the Satellite light fixtures for my main tank. Wow!
The difference is incredible.

Gary

Old 27-02-2006, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Graypony

On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:39:42 -0400, "Dr."
wrote:

Hi,

Blah, blah, blah..

My GAWD someone has Watersprite?

I'm in Wash, DC and it seems (actually a fact) that watersprite is
nowhere to be found in the intire area.

Can anyonew prove me wrong? I only need a bloody LEAF!!

Gray
----------------------------------
The older we get, the fewer things
seem worth waiting in line for!
----------------------------------
Old 27-02-2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mr. Gardener

wrote:

Hi,

Blah, blah, blah..

My GAWD someone has Watersprite?

I'm in Wash, DC and it seems (actually a fact) that watersprite is
nowhere to be found in the intire area.

Can anyonew prove me wrong? I only need a bloody LEAF!!

Gray

The next time you take your vacation, try Bar Harbor, Maine. I'll meet
you at the supermarket parking lot and be happy to pass on a leaf. A
whole plant, even. Free. The Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce will thank
you. My water is very soft and acid. 7.0 at the tap, 6.4-6.8 within a
few days. The water sprite seems to do best when neglected. On the
rare occasions when I've run out, my local pet guy orders me some and
I grab it before he can get it into his rock hard alkaline well water.
-- Mr Gardener

Old 27-02-2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve

Graypony wrote:

I'm in Wash, DC and it seems (actually a fact) that watersprite is
nowhere to be found in the intire area.

Can anyonew prove me wrong? I only need a bloody LEAF!!

Gray
----------------------------------
The older we get, the fewer things
seem worth waiting in line for!
----------------------------------

I just bought some Ceratopteris thalictroides in mesh pots (!) at a Big
Al's store in Canada. It came from the Tropica company iirc. Perhaps can
your aquarium store order some for you?

Steve
Old 27-02-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Graypony

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:27:22 -0500, Steve wrote:

Graypony wrote:

I'm in Wash, DC and it seems (actually a fact) that watersprite is
nowhere to be found in the intire area.

Entire area

Can anyonew prove me wrong? I only need a bloody LEAF!!

I just bought some Ceratopteris thalictroides in mesh pots (!) at a Big
Al's store in Canada. It came from the Tropica company iirc. Perhaps can
your aquarium store order some for you?

And they can charge 20 times what it's worth. This is, after all,
Washington, DC

Gray
----------------------------------
Old 27-02-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve

Graypony wrote:

And they can charge 20 times what it's worth.

You're right there, the water sprite cost much the same as pots of
crypts or swords, either $5 or $10 Cdn for a pot. Probably five. In the
past a store gave me a bagful for $1 Cdn, and I also got it from fellow
aquarists. It's too cold to mail plants from Canada right now, and
mailing's not cheap either.

Still, since it grows so fast when floating, one pot of water sprite may
go a long way.

Steve
Old 27-02-2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
ToeKnee

wrote:

Hi,

Blah, blah, blah..

My GAWD someone has Watersprite?

I'm in Wash, DC and it seems (actually a fact) that watersprite is
nowhere to be found in the intire area.

Can anyonew prove me wrong? I only need a bloody LEAF!!

snip

The old store (now gone) in Leesgburg used to carry.

There is Fins and Feathers in Ashburn that has carried it. Last time
I was there there did not have any, but have had them in the past.

PetSmart in Sterling has also had WaterSprite.

--Tony
Old 27-02-2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Steve wrote:
I just bought some Ceratopteris thalictroides in mesh pots (!) at a Big
Al's store in Canada. It came from the Tropica company iirc. Perhaps can
your aquarium store order some for you?

No Tropica plants in the US. But the water sprite is available mail order.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 27-02-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Steve wrote:
Still, since it grows so fast when floating, one pot of water sprite may
go a long way.

It ONLY grows floating. I need to qualify that, there's 3 forms, and the
fin leaf form will grow rooted but only with pretty strong light. The
other forms when rooted will rot at the crown and float again.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 28-02-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill

Graypony Spaketh Thusly:

My GAWD someone has Watersprite?

I'm in Wash, DC and it seems (actually a fact) that watersprite is
nowhere to be found in the intire area.

Can anyonew prove me wrong? I only need a bloody LEAF!!

If you haven't found any by June, drop me a line and I'll mail you some. I
toss away handfuls every other week. Can't take a chance on mailing it now as
it's 4 degrees F today.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net