Old 10-11-2006, 05:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Battle for the feeder

I witnessed an interesting confrontation yesterday. The hummingbird feeder
had been taken over by a wasp who was determined not to share it. The bird
would hover at a respectful distance and if he came too close the wasp would
chase him away. I'm a little surprised by this because I've never seen it
before and also because I assumed the wasp might be on the bird's menu but I
guess that's wrong.

--
Paddy's pig
-----------------

To reply it's bell not bull

Attached Thumbnails
Battle for the feeder-battle-feeder.jpg
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message
I witnessed an interesting confrontation yesterday. The hummingbird feeder
had been taken over by a wasp who was determined not to share it. The bird
would hover at a respectful distance and if he came too close the wasp
would chase him away. I'm a little surprised by this because I've never
seen it before and also because I assumed the wasp might be on the bird's
menu but I guess that's wrong.

I can't see the wasp!

And although we don't have hummers in Britain I don't think they eat
insects. Their protein is from pollen, I've always thought. It will be
interesting to see what others say.

Mary

Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

I can't see the wasp!

And although we don't have hummers in Britain I don't think they eat
insects. Their protein is from pollen, I've always thought. It will be
interesting to see what others say.

I apologize for the lousy picture. The light was very dim and I was unable
to get a quality shot but the wasp is the yellowish blob near the spout of
the feeder.

And yes - hummers DO supplement their intake with many insects. I've read
it and seen it with my own eyes.

Pat

Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

[Image]

Perfect throat color! Very nice...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

I can't see the wasp!

And although we don't have hummers in Britain I don't think they eat
insects. Their protein is from pollen, I've always thought. It will be
interesting to see what others say.

I apologize for the lousy picture. The light was very dim and I was unable
to get a quality shot but the wasp is the yellowish blob near the spout of
the feeder.

And yes - hummers DO supplement their intake with many insects. I've read
it and seen it with my own eyes.

Pat

We used to have wasp trouble... I've read that a bit of vaseline around
the feeder spout would help but I don't remember if mom ever tried it.

Hummers do indeed eat bugs. We watched them eat small gnats and midges
on more than one occasion.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
We used to have wasp trouble... I've read that a bit of vaseline around
the feeder spout would help but I don't remember if mom ever tried it.

I'll give that a shot.

Hummers do indeed eat bugs. We watched them eat small gnats and midges
on more than one occasion.

Somebody - not me - posted a pic within the past 2 - 4 months in one of the
appropriate NG's showing a hummer with a pretty good size bug in its beak.
I don't recall which NG or who posted it - maybe Lucas.

I should have copied it but didn't.

Pat

Old 10-11-2006, 09:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Hmmm? Interesting, I think that the hummer has natural instincts.
Nice capture Pat, see how he is trying to make himself bigger by spreading
his feathers.
I have seen a female build a nest & she weaved ants into the edge of it.
Enjoy your images Pat keep up the good work.
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 10-11-2006, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

I can't see the wasp!

And although we don't have hummers in Britain I don't think they eat
insects. Their protein is from pollen, I've always thought. It will be
interesting to see what others say.

I apologize for the lousy picture. The light was very dim and I was
unable to get a quality shot but the wasp is the yellowish blob near the
spout of the feeder.

I thought it might be.

And yes - hummers DO supplement their intake with many insects. I've read
it and seen it with my own eyes.

Yes, I've done some reading since I posted. But it seems that they only take
small insects, wasps would be a bit big I'd have thought.

sigh I wish I knew from first hand experience ... :-(

Mary

Pat

Old 10-11-2006, 10:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
We used to have wasp trouble... I've read that a bit of vaseline around
the feeder spout would help but I don't remember if mom ever tried it.

I'll give that a shot.

Let us know if it works? :-)
Should not bother the birds since they never actually touch the plastic.

Hummers do indeed eat bugs. We watched them eat small gnats and midges
on more than one occasion.

Somebody - not me - posted a pic within the past 2 - 4 months in one of the
appropriate NG's showing a hummer with a pretty good size bug in its beak.
I don't recall which NG or who posted it - maybe Lucas.

I should have copied it but didn't.

Pat

Most servers archive 90 days max. :-(
Maybe we could shout out a request?
I'd love to see that!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

I can't see the wasp!

And although we don't have hummers in Britain I don't think they eat
insects. Their protein is from pollen, I've always thought. It will be
interesting to see what others say.

I apologize for the lousy picture. The light was very dim and I was unable
to get a quality shot but the wasp is the yellowish blob near the spout of
the feeder.

And yes - hummers DO supplement their intake with many insects. I've read
it and seen it with my own eyes.

I put out a bunch of mantis egg cases every spring. I like to go out
early in the morning and check for hatching - it's fun to watch. One
morning I watched a hatching for a few minutes before going back in the
house to answer the phone. When I came back out, almost all the baby
mantids were gone! I was completely confused for a moment or two, then
a big male Rufous got in my face and explained everything!

Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"wendy7" wrote:

I read that the Praying Mantis is the Humming Bird's main preditor!!!
So nature at work again.

I wasn't going to mention it, mainly because nobody ever believes me
when I tell them, but I witnessed a huge Chinese Mantis capturing and
eating a tiny hummer when I was a little boy. I have also seen them
eating tree frogs. This was in Illinois. The mantids can grow very
large there.

As far as hornets and wasps go, I have always seen hummingbirds give
them a wide berth. They are just too unpredictable and deadly. Then,
again, I have rarely seen a wasp horn in on a hummer already engaged at
the feeder, so there must be some sort of risk for both.

Circles, circles. Nature strikes a balance.

[IMG] code is On

Algae battle 2 Chris Spierings Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 14-03-2003 11:08 PM
2003 Battle Starlord Gardening 0 24-02-2003 11:03 PM
2003 Battle Starlord Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:54 PM
Paul Burrell's new court battle?What has this got to do with sacha United Kingdom 2 03-02-2003 10:13 PM
Ancient timber tumbles in new battle over America's wild West Aozotorp alt.forestry 5 25-01-2003 08:10 PM