Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default ID please

This is a little thing (succulent?) I've had for years on our dining room
windowsill. This morning I noticed, with astonishment, that it was
flowering. Several clusters of amazing little flowers, each of which would
be perfect alone.

And yes, I know the quality isn't good - i.e. as good as some here spit -
but I was too excited and in a hurry to get the tripod, they might have gone
away as suddenly as they seemed to appear!

TIA

Mary

Attached Thumbnails
ID please-img_0991.jpg   ID please-img_0992-s.jpg
Old 11-11-2008, 03:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
This is a little thing (succulent?) I've had for years on our dining room
windowsill. This morning I noticed, with astonishment, that it was
flowering. Several clusters of amazing little flowers, each of which would
be perfect alone.

And yes, I know the quality isn't good - i.e. as good as some here
spit - but I was too excited and in a hurry to get the tripod, they
might have gone away as suddenly as they seemed to appear!

TIA

Mary

Sorry for the size of the close-up, too hurried :-(

Mary

Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

This is a little thing (succulent?) I've had for years on our dining room
windowsill. This morning I noticed, with astonishment, that it was
flowering. Several clusters of amazing little flowers, each of which would
be perfect alone.

And yes, I know the quality isn't good - i.e. as good as some here spit -
but I was too excited and in a hurry to get the tripod, they might have gone
away as suddenly as they seemed to appear

!

Sedum sieboldii
--

09=ix

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Garrapata" wrote in message
news
This is a little thing (succulent?) I've had for years on our dining room
windowsill. This morning I noticed, with astonishment, that it was
flowering. Several clusters of amazing little flowers, each of which would
be perfect alone.

And yes, I know the quality isn't good - i.e. as good as some here
spit -
but I was too excited and in a hurry to get the tripod, they might have
gone
away as suddenly as they seemed to appear

!

Sedum sieboldii
--

09=ix

I'd like to ask another question, please.

Will it grow outdoors in Yorkshire?

In fact, it would be good to know cultivation methods.

I'm very excited now - and wondering how I got it. Did I, for instance,
'rescue' a small piece from a display?

Feeling guilty ...

Mary

Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Sedum sieboldii

I'd like to ask another question, please.

Will it grow outdoors in Yorkshire?

In fact, it would be good to know cultivation methods.

I'm very excited now - and wondering how I got it. Did I, for instance,
'rescue' a small piece from a display?

Mary, take a llok at....
http://www.echeveria.freeserve.co.uk...culents19g.htm

http://www.bressinghamgardens.com/re...?plant_id=2089

which seem to contradict each other about hardiness.

Perhaps just propagate some and use that outside just to test, but don't put
it outside until next summer so it can get acclimatised before the winter
sets in.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Sedum sieboldii

I'd like to ask another question, please.

Will it grow outdoors in Yorkshire?

In fact, it would be good to know cultivation methods.

I'm very excited now - and wondering how I got it. Did I, for instance,
'rescue' a small piece from a display?

Mary, take a llok at....
http://www.echeveria.freeserve.co.uk...culents19g.htm

http://www.bressinghamgardens.com/re...?plant_id=2089

which seem to contradict each other about hardiness.

Perhaps just propagate some and use that outside just to test, but don't
put it outside until next summer so it can get acclimatised before the
winter sets in.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

A Yorkshire summer does equal winter. I recall snow flurries on the 4th of
July back in 1966.......................

Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Sedum sieboldii
I'd like to ask another question, please.

Will it grow outdoors in Yorkshire?

In fact, it would be good to know cultivation methods.

I'm very excited now - and wondering how I got it. Did I, for instance,
'rescue' a small piece from a display?

Mary, take a llok at....
http://www.echeveria.freeserve.co.uk...culents19g.htm

http://www.bressinghamgardens.com/re...?plant_id=2089

which seem to contradict each other about hardiness.

Perhaps just propagate some and use that outside just to test, but don't
put it outside until next summer so it can get acclimatised before the
winter sets in.

What a sensible - and obvious! - idea, thanks, Bob. It's interesting that
the writer in your first link says that s/he has never succeeded propagating
from leaves, I've found it impossible to stop the leaves from growing into
new plants where they touch the compost! Good thought about protecting it
from slugs though. Most things in our garden should be grown from hanging
baskets for that reason. The greenhouse is not safe from them and I want to
keep that space for vegetables, ornamentals aren't as important.

This plant is in a very small - 3" - pot and has been thoroughly
neglected. It sits on the south-facing windowsill among lots of large
ceramics and other succulents and cacti I've acquired unwillingly and since
they live they stay. But this one has been the most interesting, watching
its various stages over the years has been fascinating. Sometimes it's
seemed to die off then the tiniest of leaves appear and grow quickly to full
size. I've never removed the totally green leaves and they've never taken
over. It's another example of my idleness but from now on I'll treat it with
more care. If I remember :-) I bet it's flowering now as a last ditch
attempt at survival.

Oh - another point of interest is that its saucer is poised on part of a
cow horn to raise it higher than a mouse can reach. When we had a small
infestation of mus I watched one climb up the wall to the sill then run
along (mice never seem to walk, do they?) ignoring the other plants, stand
on its hind legs and nibble the S.sieboldii leaves. After it had gone - and
we set a trap - I observed that there were many leaves with bites out of
them. The horn section was the only thing to hand which raised the pot out
of mouse reach, Spouse makes things from horn (not walking stick handles)
and there are always several lying around.

A Yorkshire summer does equal winter. I recall snow flurries on the 4th
of July back in 1966.......................

I suppose it depends on your definition of winter. And summer. The exception
proves the rule :-) It doesn't happen often - but there's often hail in
July. We have had some very hot and dry summers and some pleasantly warm and
balmy ones. 2008 and 2007 have been exceptions to those years though, let's
hope that 2009 will be different. I'm fed up of rain and so are the hens.

Thanks to both and apologies for rambling,

Mary

Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Will it grow outdoors in Yorkshire?

It's worth trying. It is deciduous, there will be new buds at the base.
You might try propagating some of the non-variegated parts - leaves or
stems - and try them outside first

According to one web-site it is from the mountains of Japan and is hardy
to -10F
In fact, it would be good to know cultivation methods.

I've only grown it in a pot. It isn't fussy. I give regular water when
it is growing and repot every other year or so

I'm very excited now - and wondering how I got it. Did I, for instance,
'rescue' a small piece from a display

Here it is very common in pots of mixed succulents
--

09=ix
Old 13-11-2008, 10:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Garrapata" wrote in message
news

Will it grow outdoors in Yorkshire?

It's worth trying. It is deciduous, there will be new buds at the base.
You might try propagating some of the non-variegated parts - leaves or
stems - and try them outside first

I shall, when it's a bit warmer. About six months I reckon :-(

According to one web-site it is from the mountains of Japan and is hardy
to -10F

I think it's many years since we've experienced that in Leeds!

Thanks,

Mary