Old 13-12-2009, 11:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Yellow Ice Plant

Attached Thumbnails
Yellow Ice Plant-yellow-ice-plant.jpg
Old 14-12-2009, 01:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:48:51 -0800, "Paddy's Pig"

That is so beautiful. It has its own light.
Old 14-12-2009, 04:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Where do you live? That is very nice, I really miss the ice plant. Alas, we
just finished a week of 10 degree weather, and iceplant would not have
survived that.

Old 14-12-2009, 06:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
Where do you live?

Southern California.
--
Pat

Old 14-12-2009, 10:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

When I was in high school I spent a summer vacation planting this stuff
all along the Monterey coast.
Now, wherever it can be, it is being removed.
--

09=ix

Old 14-12-2009, 10:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Garrapata" wrote in message

When I was in high school I spent a summer vacation planting this stuff
all along the Monterey coast.

I saw plenty of it while I was at Ft Ord. I thought it was native to the
area.

Now, wherever it can be, it is being removed.

Why? Seems like it does a good job holding the sand down.
--
Pat

Old 15-12-2009, 05:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Garrapata" wrote in message
When I was in high school I spent a summer vacation planting this stuff
all along the Monterey coast.
Now, wherever it can be, it is being removed.
--

09=ix

Why are they removing it? I used to live in the Monterey area, and we had it
growing everywhere there was a hill that we didn't want to errode. Back
yards, along the highways - all over. It's not invasive, and IIRC it's easy
to control. It attracts bees. It's quite pretty.

Old 15-12-2009, 11:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:21:15 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

"Garrapata" wrote in message
.. .
When I was in high school I spent a summer vacation planting this stuff
all along the Monterey coast.
Now, wherever it can be, it is being removed.
--

09=ix

Why are they removing it? I used to live in the Monterey area, and we had it
growing everywhere there was a hill that we didn't want to errode. Back
yards, along the highways - all over. It's not invasive, and IIRC it's easy
to control. It attracts bees. It's quite pretty.

It is invasive, it crowds out native plants, it is shallow rooted and
gets so heavy it causes erosion in sandy soils by pulling down hillsides
when it rains
--

09=ix
Old 15-12-2009, 11:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:41:02 -0800, "Paddy's Pig"
wrote:

"Garrapata" wrote in message
.. .

When I was in high school I spent a summer vacation planting this stuff
all along the Monterey coast.

I saw plenty of it while I was at Ft Ord. I thought it was native to the
area.

One species, Carpobrotus chilensis used to be considered native. The
other, C. edulis, African. Now both seem to be introduced
Now, wherever it can be, it is being removed.

Why? Seems like it does a good job holding the sand down.

It's ok on flat places but native plants do it better. It is just easy
to cover disturbed places by sticking unrooted cuttings directly in the
soil. In the dunes and on steep hills it gets so heavy in the rain that
it causes erosion when it breaks off and slides downhill.
--

09=ix

[IMG] code is On

Yellow Ice Plant Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2010 11:35 AM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 09:41 AM
ice plant [email protected] Gardening 8 29-04-2004 06:03 PM
Spraying Weeds in Ice Plant? John Davison Gardening 3 30-03-2004 02:42 AM
Sparrows eating ice plant [email protected] Gardening 2 30-04-2003 04:44 PM