Old 30-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Registered User

Default passionflower

the photograph was taken July. It shows one of the first blooms of my passionflower this year. It had and has still flowers and buds. A single one opens for 2 days approx. When it opens, the pistils are standing upright like in the image. After a while they bend down, even beneath the stamina, so that visiting insects can transfer the pollen on their backs horizontally from stamina to pistils. ( Not very successfully in my case: I found a 'kind of' fruit only once in my life ) . After one day the pistils turn back again and the petals close and wither.
Attached Thumbnails
passionflower-passiflora_caerulea-2.jpg
Old 31-08-2014, 05:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:55:50 +0200, Willi_9
wrote:

the photograph was taken July. It shows one of the first blooms of my
passionflower this year. It had and has still flowers and buds. A single
one opens for 2 days approx. When it opens, the pistils are standing
upright like in the image. After a while they bend down, even beneath
the stamina, so that visiting insects can transfer the pollen on their
backs horizontally from stamina to pistils. ( Not very successfully in
my case: I found a 'kind of' fruit only once in my life ) . After one
day the pistils turn back again and the petals close and wither.

I had the same or almost the same passion flowers on my deck.
I was amazed at the wonder of them. And still am.