Old 22-10-2014, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Flower ID needed...

http://postimg.org/gallery/ozu41uk8/d73e8198/

I saw this on my walk today and love the color of the flower. Included is a pic
of what look like seeds.

Can anyone ID this flower? Are the seed-like marble sized 'things' seeds? Can
I plant them?

I'd Google Image search it but I have no idea of what to call it. Bulb? What?

Any help appreciated

thanks

*

Old 22-10-2014, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 10/21/2014 3:22 PM, elfa45 wrote:
http://postimg.org/gallery/ozu41uk8/d73e8198/

I saw this on my walk today and love the color of the flower. Included is a pic
of what look like seeds.

Can anyone ID this flower? Are the seed-like marble sized 'things' seeds? Can
I plant them?

I'd Google Image search it but I have no idea of what to call it. Bulb? What?

Any help appreciated

thanks

Canna, a perennial.

I don't know about propagating them from seed. They might not bloom the
same color. Flowers come in white, yellow, gold, orange, red, and
combinations of those. Leaves might be green or variegated with red or
yellow.

I would strongly recommend buying plants from a nursery, but only when
they are in bloom. Otherwise, you will not really know what flower
color they will have.

Cannas do okay in temperate climates where the soil does not freeze.
They do best in climates with hot summers and mild winters. They
require full sun, regular irrigation, and rich loose soil.

Actually, I am not fond of cannas because I don't think they are
attractive when not in bloom.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 22-10-2014, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , David E. Ross says...

[...]

Thanks for the quick reply, David. I live in Marin County CA...just north of
San Francisco. Until recently, we were in the 90s...only recently dropping down
into the 70s like today.

Did a Google Image search for them and the pics refer to them as Canna Lilies.

For years my main garden flower was the rose but this last year it's been
bearded & dutch iris. Getting ready to plant more/different bulbs for Spring
and I thought I could just stick these in the ground for more color.

thanks again

elfa45

Old 22-10-2014, 09:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"elfa45" wrote ...

David E. Ross says...

elfa45 wrote:
[...]

Then the problem for you will be keeping them damp enough. When in full
growth they like lots of water indeed the best I've ever seen them grown is
as bog plants despite them often being sold as coping with drought. I
remember in Malasia seeing them where they had taken over a very shallow
lake completely, stunning sight.

Lots of varieties around...
http://www.hartcanna.co.uk/catalogue.html

Our problem in the UK is that to get them to flower most years we have to
start them in a greenhouse and then plant them out otherwise they get killed
by frost before flowering. Also in a hard winter they may not survive in the
ground.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-10-2014, 09:56 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote
Canna, a perennial.

I don't know about propagating them from seed. They might not bloom the
same color. Flowers come in white, yellow, gold, orange, red, and
combinations of those. Leaves might be green or variegated with red or
yellow.

I would strongly recommend buying plants from a nursery, but only when
they are in bloom. Otherwise, you will not really know what flower
color they will have.

Cannas do okay in temperate climates where the soil does not freeze.
They do best in climates with hot summers and mild winters. They
require full sun, regular irrigation, and rich loose soil.

Actually, I am not fond of cannas because I don't think they are
attractive when not in bloom.

There are some with superb leaf colour that do look exceptional in leaf
especially if they are planted so the sun shines through the leaves.
Pretoria is probably the most common of those but there are better forms
available with red, yellow and orange stripes.
Yet others like C. musifolia are grown just for their leaf shape and colour
, as the name suggests they look like bananas, and those you certainly don't
want to flower as it spoils the effect.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-10-2014, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"elfa45" wrote ...

David E. Ross says...

elfa45 wrote:
[...]

Fool that I am a UK based canna nursery is no good to you, try this one....

http://www.plantdelights.com/Article/Canna-Lily

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.