Old 27-11-2014, 05:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Mystery mountain plant

Came across this small tree on a walk on the Revelin Moss trail on the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK. looked so out of place
amongst the greens and browns of autumn.

Attached Thumbnails
Mystery mountain plant-img_0409-resixed.jpg
Old 28-11-2014, 06:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wolf K" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Came across this small tree on a walk on the Revelin Moss trail on the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK. looked so out of place
amongst the greens and browns of autumn.

How big are those pink fruits? If they are around 1/2" or larger, then
this may be an apple tree. May have grown from an ornamental apple tree
seed dropped by a bird.

Try cropping out and posting part of the image so we can get a better
looks at the fruit. Resizing the image destroys details that could help
identify what we're looking at.

The berries are about mid Rowan sized and this is a cropped photo.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Attached Thumbnails
Mystery mountain plant-img_0409-cropped.jpg
Old 13-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden[_5_] View Post
Came across this small tree on a walk on the Revelin Moss trail on the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK. looked so out of place
amongst the greens and browns of autumn.
It is a Sorbus, otherwise known as mountain ash. There are lots of different species and a lot of them have red berries which is more commonly seen.
Old 13-12-2014, 06:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"vicusplum" wrote

'Bob Hobden[ Wrote:
Came across this small tree on a walk on the Revelin Moss
trail on the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK. looked so out of place

amongst the greens and browns of autumn.

It is a Sorbus, otherwise known as mountain ash. There are lots of
different species and a lot of them have red berries which is more
commonly seen.

That was one thought but if you look at the second photo the fruit are
spread throughout the bush/tree in ones and twos whereas Mountain Ash
usually has it's fruit in bunches although the individual fruit do look
Sorbus like. I'm convinced it's an escaped garden plant, if it's not it
should be in cultivation.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden[_5_] View Post
Came across this small tree on a walk on the Revelin Moss trail on the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK. looked so out of place
amongst the greens and browns of autumn.
Could it be this?
Viburnum Brandywine - Buy Naked Witherod Shrubs Online

Old 14-12-2014, 10:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Willi_9" wrote

'Bob Hobden[_5_ Wrote:
;1009711']Came across this small tree on a walk on the Revelin Moss
trail on the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK. looked so out of place

amongst the greens and browns of autumn.

Could it be this?
'Viburnum Brandywine -
(http://tinyurl.com/nwt3m3m)

Similar colour but again that has berries in clusters whereas the one I saw
didn't as you can see from the photo. The fruits are spread evenly all over
the plant.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered User

'Bob Hobden[_5_ Wrote:
;1009711']Came across this small tree on a walk on the Revelin Moss
trail on the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK. looked so out of place

amongst the greens and browns of autumn.

Could it be this?
'Viburnum Brandywine -
(Viburnum Brandywine - Buy Naked Witherod Shrubs Online)

Similar colour but again that has berries in clusters whereas the one I saw
didn't as you can see from the photo. The fruits are spread evenly all over
the plant.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Aside from whether it be a sorbus, viburnum or whatever, what I see in your picture (nice one btw) is mainly this (attached a detail):
... the shrub seems to have a very compact growth. I think that could be caused by game bite and this would also explain why the flowers and fruits are so closely attached to the branches.
Nevertheless the shapes of the inflorescence are a kind of panicles.

Ok, I only can refer to your photographs, while you have the chance to repeat your trip next summer and look for flowers and leafage.

Willi
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery mountain plant-img_0409_resixed_cropped.jpg
Old 15-12-2014, 05:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Willi_9" wrote

'Bob Hobden[_5_ Wrote:
;1010008']"Willi_9" wrote-

(http://tinyurl.com/nwt3m3m))

-
Similar colour but again that has berries in clusters whereas the one I
saw
didn't as you can see from the photo. The fruits are spread evenly all
over
the plant.

Aside from whether it be a sorbus, viburnum or whatever, what I see in
your picture (nice one btw) is mainly this (attached a detail):
.. the shrub seems to have a very compact growth. I think that could be
caused by game bite and this would also explain why the flowers and
fruits are so closely attached to the branches.
Nevertheless the shapes of the inflorescence are a kind of panicles.

Ok, I only can refer to your photographs, while you have the chance to
repeat your trip next summer and look for flowers and leafage.

Remember it was quite high up a mountain on the high bank of a stream
surrounded by pine trees which may account for the stunted growth, but maybe
someone else will walk that route and see it in the spring/summer when it's
in leaf. We don't normally go up there until the autumn.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.