Old 05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Jack

Default Rose prick infection

Just came from the doctor. I have a small blistered rash on my arm, and
swollen lymph gland near the rash. The doctor does not think its lyme.
Another doctor looked at it, and thought it might be from a rose prick.
Has anyone heard of this??

Old 05-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

In article _3NIe.25$f.0@trndny09, "Jack" wrote:

Just came from the doctor. I have a small blistered rash on my arm, and
swollen lymph gland near the rash. The doctor does not think its lyme.
Another doctor looked at it, and thought it might be from a rose prick.
Has anyone heard of this??

Not really, but some weeks ago I was working in my flower garden and
noticed a prominent swelling on the back of my hand. I looked more
closely and saw what looked like a thorn sticking out, so I pulled it
out. It didn't really hurt, and it didn't itch, but the next day the
swelling was black and blue. My theory is that the thorn punctured a
blood vessel, and blood accumulated under the skin. That area still
looks darker than the rest of my hand.

Priscilla
Old 05-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message _3NIe.25$f.0@trndny09
from "Jack" contains these words:

Just came from the doctor. I have a small blistered rash on my arm, and
swollen lymph gland near the rash. The doctor does not think its lyme.
Another doctor looked at it, and thought it might be from a rose prick.
Has anyone heard of this??

Have you ever heard of tetanus????????????????

Look it up. Discuss with your doctor, right away, whether you are
currently immunised against tetanus, and what would be a sensible
tetanus immunisation plan (relevant to your age, risk activities, and
previous vaccination history).

To put it plain, tetanus can do at least as much damage as lyme
disease and is a more significant risk to gardeners. So don't "wait and
see".

Janet
Old 05-08-2005, 10:37 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message _3NIe.25$f.0@trndny09
from "Jack" contains these words:

Just came from the doctor. I have a small blistered rash on my arm, and
swollen lymph gland near the rash. The doctor does not think its lyme.
Another doctor looked at it, and thought it might be from a rose prick.
Has anyone heard of this??

Have you ever heard of tetanus????????????????

Look it up. Discuss with your doctor, right away, whether you are
currently immunised against tetanus, and what would be a sensible
tetanus immunisation plan (relevant to your age, risk activities, and
previous vaccination history).

To put it plain, tetanus can do at least as much damage as lyme
disease and is a more significant risk to gardeners. So don't "wait and
see".

Janet

I agree and would add any infection is worth a visit to your doc.
Granted swollen lymph glands are an important sign to the location of
the infection. Groin and arm pits comes to mind. Still having had a
wife that went thru Lyme's before it was recognized and a family
history/ inclination of trying to lance and drain boils . We learned
to check it out.

PS. Be careful with all these sharp things we us almost daily.

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
This article is posted under fair use rules in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, and is strictly for the educational and informative purposes.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Ann

"Jack" expounded:

Just came from the doctor. I have a small blistered rash on my arm, and
swollen lymph gland near the rash. The doctor does not think its lyme.
Another doctor looked at it, and thought it might be from a rose prick.
Has anyone heard of this??

Absolutely. Never mind the puncture wound that can become infected,
there's something called rose picker's disease. Read up about it
he

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/feb2003.html

I've always reacted to roses in a bad way; I've always made sure I had
long gloves on if I was going to be working amongst rose canes.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 06-08-2005, 06:50 AM
presley

As Ann and Janet said, there are real diseases that rose pricks can cause.
Another is cellulitis - the rose itself is not the culprit, but if the
puncture offers a direct route from the top layer of skin for superficial
(skin surface) colonies of staph bacteria to get to the layers underneath
the epidermis, a very nasty infection can result.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:00 AM
paghat

In article , "presley"
wrote:

As Ann and Janet said, there are real diseases that rose pricks can cause.
Another is cellulitis - the rose itself is not the culprit, but if the
puncture offers a direct route from the top layer of skin for superficial
(skin surface) colonies of staph bacteria to get to the layers underneath
the epidermis, a very nasty infection can result.

Any deep garden puncture can cause tetanus, & tetanus can cause death.
Gardens do kill a few people each year (nowadays about 25 deaths per year
just in the USA, but anyone my age remembers a time when hundreds died
each year & gardeners did know to worry about it).

31 to 39 percent of yearly tetanus cases are the result of garden
injuries; tetanus bacteria is ALWAYS in the soil & all it takes is to have
dirty hands from weeding then have a nice long rose thorn to drive some
dirt into the flesh. The elderly are especially susceptible. For those of
us who garden a lot & take our little wounds for granted, we are
considerable risk, unless we have tetanus boosters every ten years. Fewer
than half of North American gardeners are up to date on their tetanus
boosters. See:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/carroll/2004/tetanus.htm

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 06-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Bourne Identity

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:10:18 GMT, "Jack" wrote:

Just came from the doctor. I have a small blistered rash on my arm, and
swollen lymph gland near the rash. The doctor does not think its lyme.
Another doctor looked at it, and thought it might be from a rose prick.
Has anyone heard of this??

There are all sorts of environmentl infections. I stepped on a garden
tool, went clear through my foot, took two years to clear up, 6 weeks
in the hospital, three I&D Surgeries, wound care for 4 months daily,
physical therapy, another 6 months on IV antibiotics at home, Primaxin
and Vancomyacin, infusing for about 12 hours a day, then another 18
months on clarythramyacin, 3x a day. The infection was Mycobacterium
chelonae absessus.

Recently, I had breast surgery and in May of this year had to be
hospitalized AGAIN for a massive infection to my left breast, which
turned out to be an actomycete, also environmental. I am STILL on
amoxicyllin (sp?) 3x a day and wil be for another two weeks. Hat to
be hospitalized for 9 days in May, I&D surgery on the breast, which I
almost lost,

Yeah, I've heard of garden related infections.

Victoria
Old 06-08-2005, 04:33 PM
G Henslee

Bourne Identity wrote:

Yeah, I've heard of garden related infections.

Victoria

Have your doc try a .45 Cal next visit.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:55 PM

Jack wrote:
Just came from the doctor. I have a small blistered rash on my arm, and
swollen lymph gland near the rash. The doctor does not think its lyme.
Another doctor looked at it, and thought it might be from a rose prick.
Has anyone heard of this??

While I don't disagree with what everyone else has written about all sorts
of nasty things from tetunus to Roose Picker's disease, I react to rose
thorns. Always. It is not an infection with me but just a weird skin
reaction. I did some research on the net and it is not uncommon. Anytime I
get stck with a thorn, it gets swollen and itchy.
You may just be one of those people. Have a doctor rule out the nasty stuff
tho.
I just consider it theprice i pay for lovely roses - itchy weals and a sore
back
Hilda

Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Bourne Identity

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 07:33:51 -0700, G Henslee
wrote:

Bourne Identity wrote:

Yeah, I've heard of garden related infections.

Victoria

Have your doc try a .45 Cal next visit.

He did, you must not know then...hmmm.

I'm a vampire.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Tom Jaszewski

wrote:

Bourne Identity wrote:

Yeah, I've heard of garden related infections.

Victoria

Have your doc try a .45 Cal next visit.

He did, you must not know then...hmmm.

I'm a vampire.

Hey Vic, only a rectal cranial inversion will help girly man...
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold
Old 08-08-2005, 01:50 AM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 07:41:17 -0700, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

Hey Vic, only a rectal cranial inversion will help girly man...

Yeah, but he's fun!