Old 16-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Poison Ivy 3 Leaves? 5 Leaves?

I ran into alot of poison ivy. The three leaves I am certain is poison
ivy (three leaves per stem, powder covered stalk. 100% certain is
poison ivy.

There are other where it 3 three leaves per stem on some of the smaller
branches, then goes to 3 leaves at end w/ two leaves below on per stem
larger branches. Powder on stalk until it gets to a trunk (with
vertical grain) about 3" diamater. 4' tall. Not certain what its.

Questions?
Can poison ivy have 5 leaves on more established branches?

This is on neigbors property (who doesn't speak much english) what is
the easist way to kill it. Been using Dave's Weed-Ex mixed with dish
soap, leaves appear to be withering. But need to make sure it doesn't
come back. Recomendations?

Also, how does it spread? I noticed some in my yard far away from
source

kubie
(btw - Walgreens spray benedral kicks a-s)

Old 17-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Rachel

wrote in message
oups.com...
I ran into alot of poison ivy. The three leaves I am certain is poison
ivy (three leaves per stem, powder covered stalk. 100% certain is
poison ivy.

There are other where it 3 three leaves per stem on some of the smaller
branches, then goes to 3 leaves at end w/ two leaves below on per stem
larger branches. Powder on stalk until it gets to a trunk (with
vertical grain) about 3" diamater. 4' tall. Not certain what its.

Questions?
Can poison ivy have 5 leaves on more established branches?

Poison ivy (three leaves, shiny) often grows alongside Virginia creeper
(mostly five leaves, three leaves when just starting out, not as shiny, and
not an irritant). For a good comparison, look at this page on Virginia
creeper, then follow its link to poison ivy:
http://muextension.missouri.edu/expl...niacreeper.htm

Poison ivy hops all over the place because it has whole clumps of berries
(=seeds) that fall off the vines that are high up in trees, or are eaten and
processed by birds. And, it spreads from the roots.

Old 17-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Cereus-validus.......

The best way to get rid of "Poison Ivy" is to get somebody who is immune to
it to yank it all out.

Questions?
Can poison ivy have 5 leaves on more established branches?

No, that's probably "Virginia Creeper".

http://images.google.com/images?q=Vi...=Search+Images

Also, how does it spread? I noticed some in my yard far away from
source

The fruit is a white berry that birds eat and they spread the seed when they
poop.

oups.com...

Old 17-08-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 16 Aug 2005 09:33:25 -0700, wrote:
I ran into alot of poison ivy. The three leaves I am certain is poison
ivy (three leaves per stem, powder covered stalk. 100% certain is
poison ivy.

Are the leaves opposite or alternate? Is the terminal leaflet stalked
or sessile. Where are you?

There are other where it 3 three leaves per stem on some of the smaller
branches, then goes to 3 leaves at end w/ two leaves below on per stem
larger branches. Powder on stalk until it gets to a trunk (with
vertical grain) about 3" diamater. 4' tall. Not certain what its.

Questions?
Can poison ivy have 5 leaves on more established branches?

Not any I've seen, and I've seen a lot of it. Wild guess is that you
may be seeing box elder seedlings, or perhaps Virginia creeper.

After my students all solemnly assured me that they knew poison ivy
well, and wouldn't walk in it, I'd take them out in the field. (I
don't pay a whole lot of attention to PI; I don't react
and because I do tend to avoid it anyhow) I'd walk them
into a bunch of box elder seedlings, then ask them what they were standing
in. Cruel, but it upped their watchfulness. g

More help he
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...e/flora/poivy/
http://www.floridaplants.com/Eflora/poisonivy.htm
http://www.rickveldman.com/poison/psnplants.htm
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0802.htm

Also, how does it spread? I noticed some in my yard far away from
source

Vegetatively and by dropped fruits or seeds.

Be sure you know what you're killing before you kill it... there are a
lot of look-alikes, quite harmless.

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers rtih Lawns 0 17-05-2003 08:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM