Old 19-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Ellie C

Default Marigolds suddenly dying

I have a garden bed with marigolds along the edge and they are all
dying. The other flower in the bed are fine - iris, carnations, day
lilies. They get watered equally, obviously get the same amount of sun -
it's a bed only about 2 feet deep. I planted the marigolds after pulling
up a whole weedy patch of violets. They had been growing fine. After I
pulled them up I transplanted the iris to this bed, and edged it with
the marigolds, which had previously been in a terra cotta planter. What
could be causing this?
Old 19-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Derryl

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:17:48 +0200, Ellie C
wrote:

Hi You probably lost too many roots when you transplanted the
Marigolds.

Derryl
Calgary, Alberta.

Old 20-08-2005, 02:31 AM
Gary

I've had problems with marigolds for the past two or three years.
Probably a different issue than what Ellie describes. In my case, I've
planted marigolds in pots in full sun for years and up until the past
2-3 years, they have done fine. The last few years when the hot part
of summer hits and we get our usual week or two of temps above 100 F,
the marigolds just fry and die.
Previously, I had no problems with marigolds in full sun and they
seemed to tolerate the heat just fine. Until recently, I thought
marigolds were tough as nails! Some of my friends & neighbors complain
of similar problems. This is just bizarre!
Any ideas on what might be happening?
Thanks,
Gary

Old 20-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Ellie C

Gary wrote:
I've had problems with marigolds for the past two or three years.
Probably a different issue than what Ellie describes. In my case, I've
planted marigolds in pots in full sun for years and up until the past
2-3 years, they have done fine. The last few years when the hot part
of summer hits and we get our usual week or two of temps above 100 F,
the marigolds just fry and die.
Previously, I had no problems with marigolds in full sun and they
seemed to tolerate the heat just fine. Until recently, I thought
marigolds were tough as nails! Some of my friends & neighbors complain
of similar problems. This is just bizarre!
Any ideas on what might be happening?
Thanks,
Gary

The death of my marigolds also coincided with some very hot and dry
weather. I don't think I lost too many roots when I transplanted them,
and they had been doing fine for 4 - 6 weeks before they died. Our soil
here dries out very quickly and these of course are more shallow rooted
than the larger perrenials in the same bed. ALthough those irises are
shallow rooted too and they were transplanted at aboiut the same time as
the marig9olds. But I gues those rhizomes, being much larger than the
little marigold roots, can withstand a bitg of dryness more successfully.

Thanks,

-e
Old 10-09-2005, 05:57 AM
RWLSN

check the roots for nematodes. I've had marigolds do the same thing, and
the roots of the weak plants had bumps on the roots--a sign of nematode
damage. Also, have you looked for spider mites? Hot, dry conditions invite
spider mites, and I've had those destroy marigolds as well.