Old 22-08-2005, 03:45 AM
Ted

Default Pruning rose of sharon and dipladema

OK, I have these two shrubs (I am not sure of the spelling of dipladema
as I don't have its card in front of me, but I was told butterflies and
hummingbirds love them). I notice that on both, the blooms are located
on new growth.

I find the structure of both wanting as both have stems that are a
little less than a metre without branching. It looks like a case of
strong apical dominance.

I have to keep the dipladema reasonably small because I will have to
bring it in each fall (the horticulturalist I spoke to when I bought it
told me to bring it in before it gets hit by frost since it is not
winter hardy here, just north of Toronto - she didn't say what to do to
over-winter it inside or what to expect it to do).

Both are giving a terrific display right now.

Do you have any experience pruning these shrubs? If so, when is the
best time of year to prune them? And when you prune, should the focus
be on thining the plant, or reducing the height? In both cases, how
much should be removed? Can I thicken up the plants by snipping the
shoots just below the growing tip of each stem I want to branch? If
so, how much should be enough to end apical dominance in these plants
and encourage the stems to branch? Am I right in expecting that doing
so will improve their displays next year?

Thanks for your time.

Ted

R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions
http://www.randddecisionsupportsolutions.com/
Healthy Living Through Informed Decision Making

Old 22-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Travis

Ted wrote:
OK, I have these two shrubs (I am not sure of the spelling of
dipladema as I don't have its card in front of me, but I was told
butterflies and hummingbirds love them). I notice that on both,
the blooms are located on new growth.

I think you should go get the "card".

snip

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 22-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Remember, "Joker's are wild"!!!!!

Pick a card, any card!!!!!

Try Dipladenia while you're at it, Travesty.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Di...=Search+Images

Old 22-08-2005, 03:05 PM
pam

Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) can be pruned back hard in late winter or
early spring.
Young plants typically have a habit much like you describe but will become
more shrub-like with maturity. This
plant is very late to leaf out so don't panic when it looks like a dead
stick well into spring.

Dipladenia (aka Mandevilla splendens) is a lax, vining shrub. It too can be
cut back hard as new growth begins in spring.
It will need a cool, bright environment for the winter - a greenhouse is
ideal but a sunroom or unused bedroom will work
as well. Keep on the dry side, watering only to prevent it from fully drying
out. It will need to be re-acclimated before
you move it back into the garden for spring. Watch out for spider mites,
which can be a problem with overwintering.

pam - gardengal

ups.com...

Old 22-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Ted

Cereus-validus....... wrote:
Remember, "Joker's are wild"!!!!!

Pick a card, any card!!!!!

Try Dipladenia while you're at it, Travesty.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Di...=Search+Images

Thanks Cerious. You're right. I missed the 'i' and had an 'm' instead
of the 'n', but I was close. I just checked the 'card', which was
glued to the pot. I knew there was a reason I didn't have it handy.

That link you provide provided a lot of great pictures. Thank you!

Cheers,

Ted

Old 22-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Ted

Hi Pam,

Thank you very much. This is useful

I bought a couple winter hardy Hibiscus recently and was told, in this
forum actually, that they'd likely start new growth in May. This is in
southern Ontario, just north of Toronto. Can I expect similar timing
from the Rose of Sharon? Does it grow rapidly once it decides to
start?

For both Hibiscus species and Dipladenia species, is there any benefit
to lightly trimming the stems, to encourage branching by suppressing
apical dominance, perhaps in early summer and mid-summer? Or would
that do more harm than good?

Out of curiousity, do you have any idea why it was called a rose when
it is a hibiscus and looks nothing like a rose?

Thanks,

Old 22-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Cereus-validus.......

For a Ph.D., Ed.D., you ask a lot of stoopid questions, Tedious Buyer.

Why are Koalas called bears when they are not bears?

Why are "water lilies", "day lilies", "calla lilies", etc. so called when
they are not true lilies?

Why is the "Rose of Sharon" named Hibiscus syriacus, when the plant is
actually native to China not Syria?

Why don't you do a Google search instead of being a pest?

oups.com...

Old 22-08-2005, 09:35 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereus-validus......." wrote:

For a Ph.D., Ed.D., you ask a lot of stoopid questions, Tedious Buyer.

Why are Koalas called bears when they are not bears?

Because they're naked, & they live exclusively off of kola nuts.

Why are "water lilies", "day lilies", "calla lilies", etc. so called when
they are not true lilies?

Since the name lily is derived from a Greek name of Narcissus, even true
lilies aren't lilies.

Why is the "Rose of Sharon" named Hibiscus syriacus, when the plant is
actually native to China not Syria?

Because missionaries in China converted it to Christianity.

"Ted" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Pam,

Thank you very much. This is useful

I bought a couple winter hardy Hibiscus recently and was told, in this
forum actually, that they'd likely start new growth in May. This is in
southern Ontario, just north of Toronto. Can I expect similar timing
from the Rose of Sharon? Does it grow rapidly once it decides to
start?

Depends on what you call rapid growth. Compared to say bush mallow, rose
of sharon grows rather slowly. But an well rooted long established shrub
will grow back rather quickly from a hard pruning.

For both Hibiscus species and Dipladenia species, is there any benefit
to lightly trimming the stems, to encourage branching by suppressing
apical dominance, perhaps in early summer and mid-summer? Or would
that do more harm than good?

Prune late winter or early spring.

Out of curiousity, do you have any idea why it was called a rose when
it is a hibiscus and looks nothing like a rose?

It's flowers look quite a bit like wild roses, but Rose of Sharon is a
biblical reference not associated with roses per se, & not exclusively
associated with hardy hibiscus.

Thanks,

Ted

R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.

--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 22-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Ted

Thanks Paghat,

This was informative.I've never seen a wild rose, only the thorny
treasures at the garden centre.

Thanks again,

Ted

Old 23-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Cereus-validus.......

Thanks a bunch for 'splaining it all, Pagthagoras!!

If someone gave you a place to stand, would you leverage the whole dang
earth?

If you were a Rhodes scholar, who would you asphalt?

If Dubya doesn't have a magic wand he can lower gas prices with, how in the
heck did he get to be president in the first place?

"paghat" wrote in message
news