Old 15-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Richard

Default Another wheelbarrow question

Last summer I needed to borrow a wheelbarrow to haul some stuff around my
yard. My neighbor (elderly lady) loaned me her wheelbarrow, one of the old
fashioned tubular steel handled with the solid wheel type. Needless to say,
while it was in my care the tubular steel crumpled up where it was bolted
to the tub. I need to get her a new one, and she has indicated that she
wants one like that, she does not want a garden cart or anything else. But
the most important thing is she does *NOT* want an inflatable tire, she
wants it solid.
Does anyone make the old fashioned steel tube wheelbarrows anymore? If not,
I'll be forced to buy the smallest wooden handled one I can find, and
replace the wheel...
Old 15-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Dwayne

I would take the tire off of hers and go to Lowes, Sutherlands, Wal Mart,
Etc. and see what you can find that will allow you to use her old tire.
Other than that, I dont know of anything else to do.

Good luck, Dwayne

. ..

Old 15-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Richard wrote:

Last summer I needed to borrow a wheelbarrow to haul some stuff around my
yard. My neighbor (elderly lady) loaned me her wheelbarrow, one of the old
fashioned tubular steel handled with the solid wheel type. Needless to say,
while it was in my care the tubular steel crumpled up where it was bolted
to the tub. I need to get her a new one, and she has indicated that she
wants one like that, she does not want a garden cart or anything else. But
the most important thing is she does *NOT* want an inflatable tire, she
wants it solid.

Does anyone make the old fashioned steel tube wheelbarrows anymore?

Check ACE hardware.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 15-03-2003, 04:32 PM
jc

"Richard" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

A suggestion - Most of the Lowes & Home Depots in our area have a
smaller wheelbarrow, about 3 cuft, that is smaller and better-balanced
than the larger contractor style wheelbarrows. But it has wooden
handles. You can replace the 6-inch inflatable-tire wheel with a
10-inch wheel that has a rubberized plastic hard tire. The profile is
nearly the same as the original tire. It is narrower than the original
tire and will need bushings on each side to keep it centered on the
axle. Bushings can be made from 1/4-inch PVC pipe, steel EMT, or
various other materials. The narrower wheel may bog down in soft
soil - I put two of the wheels on mine which makes it a bit wobbly on
soft soil. Another caveat - the hard "rubber" tire is hollow and
overloading can force it off the rim. I have had that happen with
handtrucks but still not with the wheelbarrow. Good Luck. -Olin

Old 15-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Pat Keith

Why not repair her handle?

Old 15-03-2003, 06:08 PM
TOM KAN PA

Your problem is solved. Buy a wheel he

http://lawn-and-garden.aubuchonhardw...els_and_wheelb
arrows/wheelbarrows.asp

Then find a wheelbarrow that it will fit. And buy two wheelbarrows, one for her
and one for you.

"Neither a borrower or a lender be."

Old 17-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Dwight Sipler

Pat Keith wrote:

Why not repair her handle?

Probably not worth the effort. The wheelbarrow sounds like one of the
ones with a cheap tubular steel handle with several bends. If the
average homeowner tried to bend a piece of steel without the proper
tools it would probably kink and lose strength so that it wouldn't last
long. The existing handle is probably rusted through not only where it
folded, but in other spots, so it's no good just repairing the broken
section. The wheelbarrow (as with so many things today) is designed for
a finite life, which it has now exceeded. It's a lot less work to buy a
new one.

Things like that are only worth repairing if you place very little value
on your time.
Old 17-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Warren

Too bad you're not in the Pacific Northwest. A wheelbarrow with tubular
steel frame and handles was in the Fred Meyer's ad in Sunday's paper for
about $35. The tire was probably pnumatic, but replacing it with a solid
wheel -- maybe even the one on the old wheelbarrow -- would probably be
fairly easy.

It didn't have a brand name in the ad, but if I get into one of their
stores this week I'll see if I can find a manufacture's name on it, and
maybe we can find you a retailer closer to you.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 18-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Richard

Thank you Warren.

"Warren" wrote in news:m9mda.142533$S_4.82341
@rwcrnsc53:

Old 18-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Richard

Exactly. It was pretty well rusted, and I was trying to take it easy
suspecting that it would do that - they also managed to drill the bolt
holes right in the middle of the bend, weakest spot. One little bump, and
the wheel folded right under, and the opened tubing released a cloud of
rust...

Dwight Sipler wrote in news:3E75B9A0.473B8330
@haystack.mit.edu:

Old 18-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Warren

Warren wrote:

It didn't have a brand name in the ad, but if I get into one of their
stores this week I'll see if I can find a manufacture's name on it,

and
maybe we can find you a retailer closer to you.

The brand name is Fort, a company apparently in Holland. (Hell of a
global economy when wheelbarrows built in Holland can be sold affordably
in the Pacific Northwest!)

The best I could find website-wise is this:
http://www.fort-uk.com/

There's not much there. The only other relevant links I could find were
various gardening sites from the UK. There is an e-mail address. Maybe
they can point you towards a retailer (or even a wholesaler who can
point you towards a retailer) on your side of the country.

The tire was pneumatic, but it could easily be replaced. It's pretty
lightweight, and to me it looked like it would collapse under a full
load, but it might be perfect for a small person who wouldn't try to
move a full load in the first place.

Good luck.

--
Warren H.