Old 15-03-2003, 09:08 PM
videotron

Default spindly seedlings

Having a problem with spindly tomato seedlings - can't get the stems to
thicken up. Would it be a lack of light or too much light that would cause
this? The seedlings are a couple weeks old and about 3 to 4 inches tall.
Any ideas?

tks
Paul

Old 15-03-2003, 10:32 PM
jammer

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 14:56:19 -0500, "videotron"
wrote:

Having a problem with spindly tomato seedlings - can't get the stems to
thicken up. Would it be a lack of light or too much light that would cause
this? The seedlings are a couple weeks old and about 3 to 4 inches tall.
Any ideas?

tks
Paul

I transplanted some of mine to individual pots and buried them almost
all the way. That helped a lot, but they aren't doing much now. I am
throwing them out and doing the walmart thing.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 15-03-2003, 10:32 PM
SugarChile

Yep, lack of light is the main culprit. You need a fluorescent fixture
within a few inches of the top of the plants. The best thing is to put them
out in a spot that is sheltered from the wind, temps. at least 55, on a
sunny day. Even a few hours of real sun now and again works wonders; it
also helps prevent damping off. Of course you have to be around to bring
them right in when the temperature starts to drop.

You can also brush your hand gently over them now and again to help
strengthen them. And, as someone else mentioned, when it's time to
transplant them , you can bury a lot of the stem. Tomato seedlings are
fairly forgiving.

Good luck,
Sue

.. .

Old 15-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Beecrofter

"videotron" wrote in message ...
Having a problem with spindly tomato seedlings - can't get the stems to
thicken up. Would it be a lack of light or too much light that would cause
this? The seedlings are a couple weeks old and about 3 to 4 inches tall.
Any ideas?

tks
Paul

Not enough light , too far from the lights, too warm after germination
Old 16-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Cereoid+10+

Why in the heck are you trying to grow plants from seeds now?

Its too damn early to be doing that!!!

.. .

Old 16-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Alice Gamewell

Cereoid is wrong. Its not too early to start your seeds. I start mine 8
weeks before I set them out.
In the lamp department at my walmart, they sell small flourescent light lamps
for ten dollars. I bought two and put them over my tomato seedlings. I grew
some nice transplants from seeds.
Good luck gardening this year.
Alice

Old 16-03-2003, 03:32 PM
TOM KAN PA

Bamboo wrote:

Not enough light , too far from the lights, too warm after germination.

To do what he suggested, I'll add more lights and move the seelings closer to
them. Wouldn't this result in even more warmth?

Old 16-03-2003, 04:32 PM
videotron

Ok, I've put them in little pots and buried them up to the neck and put a
flourescent light about 6-8 inches above them. Let's see what happens now.
thanks vm for the feedback.

paul

.. .

Old 16-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Having a problem with spindly tomato seedlings - can't get the stems to
thicken up. Would it be a lack of light or too much light that would cause
this? The seedlings are a couple weeks old and about 3 to 4 inches tall.
Any ideas?

Light, light, light. Where are you growing them? A "sunny window"
provides a few hours of direct sunlight each day. Not enough.
Plentiful artificial light (i.e., gro-light fluorescents *very*
closely positioned) can provide enough to keep the plants happy.
Old 16-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 06:40:56 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

Why in the heck are you trying to grow plants from seeds now?

Its too damn early to be doing that!!!

videotron wrote

Having a problem with spindly tomato seedlings - can't get the stems to
thicken up. Would it be a lack of light or too much light that would cause
this? The seedlings are a couple weeks old and about 3 to 4 inches tall.
Any ideas?

Complete bosh. In the first place, you didn't enquire where the poster
was located. I generally start seeds (over heating mats in a
greenhouse) in USDA zone 8 in January. This allows for either frying
or freezing at least one batch, 'though occasionally I have 2' bushy
tomato plants ready when it's time to set them out (mid April). Amend
"occasionally" to "once".

Old 16-03-2003, 04:56 PM
videotron

Hi Cereoid+10+,
Thank you for your feedback - 'tho it was of no benefit to me either in
its content or in the way it was offered. I won't argue that it might be
considered a tad early to start out but I do have special plans for these
particular plants.

Thanks for your time,
Paul

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message
.. .
Why in the heck are you trying to grow plants from seeds now?

Its too damn early to be doing that!!!

.. .

Old 16-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Shadow

"videotron" wrote in message
Ok, I've put them in little pots and buried them up to the neck and put a
flourescent light about 6-8 inches above them. Let's see what happens now.
thanks vm for the feedback.

Get the lights even closer than that if you can. My grow-lights are never
more than a couple of inches above my seedlings. What may seem like plenty
of light to you and me is often insufficient for seedlings, and before you
know it, they'll start reachin' for the sky again.

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

Old 16-03-2003, 06:56 PM
videotron

thanks everyone for all the feedback - think I'll double up on the
flourescent lights and set them closer (2"-3"). This group sure is an
excellent resource.

paul

.. .

Old 17-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Cereoid+10+

Bite me, Alice. Wake up and smell the seedlings rotting. You don't know
where he lives or if he can affort to buy plant lights, you dummy. Are you
going to buy them for him?

It certainly is too early if he doesn't have artificial lights and is unable
to keep the seedlings in good health indoors until the threat of frost is
over.

Old 17-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Since she doesn't know where he lives how do you ?

Frost is over and it's late for starting seeds in the desert SW.

videotron wrote:

Having a problem with spindly tomato seedlings - can't get the stems to
thicken up. Would it be a lack of light or too much light that would

cause
this? The seedlings are a couple weeks old and about 3 to 4 inches

tall.
Any ideas?

tks
Paul

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

[IMG] code is On

Euphorbia - Tall Spindly? Davy[_2_] United Kingdom 3 05-05-2010 05:52 PM
Tomato Seedlings Thin and Spindly JMS United Kingdom 10 31-03-2010 04:09 PM
Spindly Nemesias M United Kingdom 2 21-07-2006 08:33 PM
helping a sickly, spindly Clematis peter Gardening 4 12-07-2003 12:56 AM
spindly camellias and rhododendrons David Marion North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 06:34 PM