Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering

Old 22-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Catty One

Default Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering

Hello All,

Zone 5 north of Boston here.... I have 8 Gerbera Daisies that I'm going to
have to dig up and do something with for the winter. I don't think I could
cover them w/enough mulch to survive a New England Winter. Should I dig 'em
and pot 'em and store them in my garage? It doesn't get below freezing in
there, it's where I keep my Japanese Maple every year for its dormancy
period ... would the Gerberas like the same atmosphere?

Should I just make them houseplants for the winter, or would they prefer
some sleepy time?

Thanks

Old 27-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Dana Schultz

I have never tried to leave them outside. I have tried overwintering them
but they always get powdery mildew and I lose more than half. I have never
had success with them from seeds so I just gave up and buy new ones in the
spring.
I am 5b

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid

Old 28-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Catty One

Thanks. I know they wouldn't make it outside ... so I guess I'll dig 'em up
before the first frost, plant them in some good soil and put 'em in the
dark. Either way they have to be dug up so I might as well do it now before
spring comes so I can just put something else in there.

.. .

Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 AM
frinjdwelr

I've over wintered Gerbers in my sun room the last two years here in Wis.
The first year only half barely survived, but last year did really well and
bloomed off and on all winter. It was well worth the effort to see those
cheery red and yellow blooms in the dead of winter. They seem to always get
some form of blight or something, but pulling off any leaves that begin
turning yellow slows it down enough to keep them renewing with feeding.

I stuck them back in the ground this spring and they're still going strong.
I'm trying to decide if I have enough room to pull them in again this
winter, but probably will try.

news

"Catty One" wrote in message
Hello All,

Zone 5 north of Boston here.... I have 8 Gerbera Daisies that I'm going
have to dig up and do something with for the winter. I don't think I

could
cover them w/enough mulch to survive a New England Winter. Should I

dig
'em
and pot 'em and store them in my garage? It doesn't get below freezing
in
there, it's where I keep my Japanese Maple every year for its dormancy
period ... would the Gerberas like the same atmosphere?

Should I just make them houseplants for the winter, or would they

prefer
some sleepy time?

Thanks

Daisy, Buttercup, Dettles and Doc. Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk United Kingdom 28 17-05-2005 11:00 PM
Hibiscus, Zinnia and Gerbera Daisy Questions:) junkyardcat Gardening 2 26-12-2004 09:18 AM
"African Daisy" Cheryl Isaak Gardening 5 09-11-2004 08:50 PM
Wintering Bonsai Carol Schroeder Bonsai 5 06-10-2004 08:09 PM
Daisy bush Yau-ming Chiam Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:35 AM