Old 07-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Registered User

Question Lebelling my arboretum

Hello! I have just bought my dream home in the countryside of England with a large garden. We are lucky enough to have a beautiful arboretum at the back of the garden. I would really like to label the trees here as there are many different kinds however I am not sure as to how to label them so as not to spoil the look. Would anyone be able to suggest a lebelling method?

Thank you in advance

Harry
Old 07-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenerHarry
Hello! I have just bought my dream home in the countryside of England with a large garden. We are lucky enough to have a beautiful arboretum at the back of the garden. I would really like to label the trees here as there are many different kinds however I am not sure as to how to label them so as not to spoil the look. Would anyone be able to suggest a lebelling method?

Thank you in advance

Harry
A small sign post infront, just a sign on one post - if that makes sense??

Maybe with the latin and common name as well
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Yanni Appleseed

Default Lebelling my arboretum

GardenerHarry wrote in
:

Hello! I have just bought my dream home in the countryside of England
with a large garden. We are lucky enough to have a beautiful arboretum
at the back of the garden. I would really like to label the trees here
as there are many different kinds however I am not sure as to how to
label them so as not to spoil the look. Would anyone be able to suggest
a lebelling method?

Thank you in advance

Harry

Lebelling/lebelling

I would respectfully suggest that you not do any of the lettering yourself.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Pete

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:23:50 +0000, GardenerHarry wrote:

Hello! I have just bought my dream home in the countryside of England
with a large garden. We are lucky enough to have a beautiful arboretum
at the back of the garden. I would really like to label the trees here
as there are many different kinds however I am not sure as to how to
label them so as not to spoil the look. Would anyone be able to suggest
a lebelling method?

Thank you in advance

Harry

This is a controversial subject with botanical gardens! Labels of course
answer the perpetual "what's this?" questions, but some feel they make the
garden look like a supermarket.

I'd suggest a small, discrete sign on a small post. Probably white type on
a black background, using a smallish font size (e.g. 18pt). If you have the
budget, engraved plastic will be super-durable.

Pete
Old 08-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from GardenerHarry contains
these words:

Hello! I have just bought my dream home in the countryside of England
with a large garden. We are lucky enough to have a beautiful arboretum
at the back of the garden. I would really like to label the trees here
as there are many different kinds however I am not sure as to how to
label them so as not to spoil the look. Would anyone be able to suggest
a lebelling method?

Try copper labels, available in the UK from Lakeland, and Andrew
Grace. Names are easily indented (permanently) with the tip of a biro.
The copper soon weathers to a discreet matt brown and will last many
decades. They can be attached with copper wire, but this needs regular
checking to make sure it doesn't constrict growth.

Janet

Old 08-11-2005, 10:16 AM
presley

Our local city park arboretum uses this copper tag method - and they don't
put them around the trunk in most cases, they simply attach them to the
lowest hanging branches of the tree - which usually hang far away from the
trunk, minimizing damage as people pull down on the branches to take a look
at the tags.