Old 08-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Vinny

Default Roofing tar to seal tree wounds?

Hello,

I have some mature oak trees in my yard that
I had built a tree house in for my son about 6 years ago.
I've taken most it down and after I finish removing all of
the metal bolts from the trees I'm wondering what to
seal the holes with.
In the past I've heard that you can use roofing sealer
for this.
Is this still a good solution or is there something better?

Thanks in advance,
Vin

Old 08-11-2005, 05:56 AM
Persephone

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 21:59:08 -0500, "Vinny"
wrote:

Hello,

I have some mature oak trees in my yard that
I had built a tree house in for my son about 6 years ago.
I've taken most it down and after I finish removing all of
the metal bolts from the trees I'm wondering what to
seal the holes with.
In the past I've heard that you can use roofing sealer
for this.
Is this still a good solution or is there something better?

Thanks in advance,
Vin

You can buy spray cans of something black and tarry at nurseries
and homeowners stores. I use it to seal where limbs were removed,
etc. Maybe it's roofing tar lite... g

Anybody know?

Persephone

Old 08-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Use nothing, leave the wound bare.
The outdated practice of using bitumen/tar has been found to actually seal in fungal spores and bacteria, hence accelerating decay/rot.
So long as the cut is made correctly, allowing the wound wood to heal naturaly, the CODIT system will help to ensure minimal decay.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Travis

Vinny wrote:
Hello,

I have some mature oak trees in my yard that
I had built a tree house in for my son about 6 years ago.
I've taken most it down and after I finish removing all of
the metal bolts from the trees I'm wondering what to
seal the holes with.
In the past I've heard that you can use roofing sealer
for this.
Is this still a good solution or is there something better?

Thanks in advance,
Vin

Now a days it is recommended that you do not seal wonds just let
them scar over.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 08-11-2005, 01:49 PM

The sealers seal in bacteria and fungi and give them a protected place
to establish themselves.
In addition the solvents cause further injury.
Current practice is to clean wounds up smooth and not use any sealant.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Stephen Henning

Default Roofing tar to seal oak tree wounds?

"Vinny" wrote:
I have some mature oak trees in my yard that
I had built a tree house in for my son about 6 years ago.
I've taken most it down and after I finish removing all of
the metal bolts from the trees I'm wondering what to
seal the holes with.
In the past I've heard that you can use roofing sealer
for this.

The answer is no 1) because normally sealers aren't required and 2)
because asphalt based sealers should never be used.

"Travis" wrote:
Now a days it is recommended that you do not seal wonds just let
them scar over.

The exception is to seal wounds on trees that are susceptible to
damaging insect infestation such as birch, oak, and elm trees with a
NON-asphalt based pruning sealer. However it is preferable to disturb
oak trees during the winter when the insects are not active and no
sealer is required.

Here are some references:

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/2001/021001.html [Why not use pruning
sealer? by University of New Mexico]

http://www.treehelp.com/howto/howto-prune-a-tree.asp [How to Prune a
Tree]

http://www.extension.umn.edu/extensi.../stopprun.html [Stop
pruning elm and oak trees by University of Minnesota]
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 08-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Tom Randy

On 2005-11-07 21:59:08 -0500, "Vinny" said:

Hello,

I have some mature oak trees in my yard that
I had built a tree house in for my son about 6 years ago.
I've taken most it down and after I finish removing all of
the metal bolts from the trees I'm wondering what to
seal the holes with.
In the past I've heard that you can use roofing sealer
for this.
Is this still a good solution or is there something better?

Thanks in advance,
Vin

I understand they don't recommend sealing tree wounds any more. The
tree can take care of itself.

Tom

--
PCs, like air-conditioners, are useless when you open Windows.