Old 11-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Ray

Default Root pruning? ? ?

I have a tea olive -- I believe the botanical name is osmanthus fragrens --
which I keep in a large container because it is far out of its natural
habitat of the deep South. This bush normally grows to small-tree size, but
of course that's not possible when it's in a container. I have to bring it
inside for the winter. After several years it has become rather sickly.

I suspect the roots have become choked. I wonder if I might just take it out
of the pot, prune the roots, and replant it. Of course I would severely cut
back the top growth as well, to perhaps a foot or two above the planting
level.

Is this a good strategy? What time of year should I do this root-pruning?

Old 11-11-2005, 02:41 PM

You can always slide it from it's pot to inspect it, but do your major
pruning just before it's growing season, things don't recover as well
during dormancy/dark of winter.
When you repot make sure there is plenty of coarse sand or pearlite in
your mix to provide pore space for the roots to exchange gases with the
atmosphere.
Roots need oxygen too.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Ray

Thanks Bamboo -- I'll proceed accordingly.

I am about to bring the plant inside for the winter. Based on what you say,
I'll wait until spring to do the pruning, when I take it outside again.

-- Ray

ups.com...