How to burn leaves?

Old 05-01-2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to burn leaves?

Does anyone know any clever ways of burning leaves? Simple design for
an effective incinerator or something? My leaves are a little damp and
need some help to get going.

I can't make anymore compost. These guys need to burn.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:47:07 -0800, Wibble wrote:

Does anyone know any clever ways of burning leaves? Simple design for an
effective incinerator or something? My leaves are a little damp and need
some help to get going.

I can't make anymore compost. These guys need to burn.

Thanks.

With enough cardboard / paper you should be able to create a hot enough
fire to dry out some of the leaves. If there too wet for that method, try
a weedburner.

http://www.resources.ywgc.com/info/weedburner.html

That will dry them out enough to burn.
Good luck.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Wibble" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know any clever ways of burning leaves? Simple design for
an effective incinerator or something? My leaves are a little damp and
need some help to get going.

I can't make anymore compost. These guys need to burn.

A few years ago I decided it might be a good idea to burn some yard waste.
I contacted the local fire department. They had very specific rules on
burning, including acceptable ways to build fire pits, etc. Your best bet
is to make that call because it doesn't matter what someone here thinks if
you end up being fined by the local authorities. By the way, after making
the call, I gave up on the idea of burning anything.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

HERE HERE!!! You read my thoughts EXACTLY Janet!!!! Don't compost or burn
them, spread them over your perennials and garden beds! They'll love you
this winter for it and reward you in the spring and summer!
madgardener
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message . com
from "Wibble" contains these words:

Does anyone know any clever ways of burning leaves? Simple design for
an effective incinerator or something? My leaves are a little damp and
need some help to get going.

I can't make anymore compost. These guys need to burn.

Don't waste them by burning. Spread them on the soil surface of beds
as a weed-suppressing mulch. Worms will incorporate them into the soil,
improving the humus level.

Janet

Old 28-02-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

The county where I live has an "organic dump" to bring all your yard
waste. In fact, during the spring, summer, and fall they pick-up our
yard waste at the curb to bring to the "organic dump." They make
mulch, which anyone can pickup for free.