Old 23-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Nick Thudick

Default HELP: Moss Lawn???

Hello,

I live just outside of New York City in an apartment with a small
backyard (8' x 15').

There are several tall buildings around my backyard, so any part of my
backyard gets at most 4-6 hours of sunlight. I've tried for the past
few years cultivating some lawn area (even using "shady" seed), but it
thrives for about a month and a half, then withers and dies.

Someone recommended creating a moss lawn. I was skeptical, but after
some research online (http://www.mossacres.com/), I have to say that it
looks pretty cool. However, I'm concerned that while I don't get enough
sunshine for grass, am I getting too much sunshine for a moss lawn? If
not, can anyone recommend a variety of moss that can endure some mild
foot traffic and thrive in partial sunshine? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 23-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Nick Thudick wrote:

I live just outside of New York City in an apartment with a small
backyard (8' x 15').

There are several tall buildings around my backyard, so any part of my
backyard gets at most 4-6 hours of sunlight. I've tried for the past
few years cultivating some lawn area (even using "shady" seed), but it
thrives for about a month and a half, then withers and dies.

Someone recommended creating a moss lawn. I was skeptical, but after
some research online (http://www.mossacres.com/), I have to say that it
looks pretty cool. However, I'm concerned that while I don't get enough
sunshine for grass, am I getting too much sunshine for a moss lawn?

They don't like much direct sunlight, especially the afternoon
kind. Some herbs and short croundcovers like partial sun - but
I'm in AZ and not familiar with what frows in NY. Maybe creeping
thyme, ajuga or

Have you considered doing a paved or gravelled courtyard style
with plants in pots and moss in the cracks whereever it wants to
gro and herbs in the4 rest of the cracks?

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 23-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Trish K.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:01:58 GMT, Nick Thudick
wrote:

Shady mixes guess at what types might work for you. Grass is not out
of the question. I'd try one variety or another of fescue or maybe
rye. Don't walk on it first season, make a path, and use weak
fertilizers.

Moss is pretty but in a small space requires imagination (and lots of
water) to manage, moss is best as a statement of some kind, rather
then a groundcover proper. Moss takes years to establish right, but
you can do that too, or instead of grass

TK

[...]

[IMG] code is On

help, lawn dying after applying Lawn Feed & Moss Killer peter United Kingdom 1 07-06-2008 08:34 PM
Help - Moss in lawn john Lawns 2 02-03-2006 09:15 PM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 04:59 PM
Ridding a lawn of moss dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 13 09-04-2003 11:56 PM
Bumpy lawn+lots of moss!! john fraser United Kingdom 5 24-03-2003 05:32 PM