Old 24-03-2003, 06:44 AM
JNJ

Default Kiwi?

All -- Somewhere I picked up that there is a variety of Kiwi that is hardy
to Zone 4. I'm up in Zone 6a and would like to find some varieties I can
plant up here. Anyone have any suggestions?

James

Old 24-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Art M

I can't be of much help. Here in zone 8 I have enough trouble getting the
plants that I grew from seeds from store bought fruit to flower. This link
may be helpful.
http://crfg.org/pubs/ff/kiwifruit.html

--Art

Old 24-03-2003, 04:20 PM
simy1

"JNJ" wrote in message ...
All -- Somewhere I picked up that there is a variety of Kiwi that is hardy
to Zone 4. I'm up in Zone 6a and would like to find some varieties I can
plant up here. Anyone have any suggestions?

James

Those are hardy kiwis. There are many varieties. You need a male and
as many females as you want (up to six). They take 5-6 years to start
fruiting, and like the other kiwis, they are big vines. You can have
them shipped to you from dozens of mailorder places.
Old 24-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Pam

JNJ wrote:

All -- Somewhere I picked up that there is a variety of Kiwi that is hardy
to Zone 4. I'm up in Zone 6a and would like to find some varieties I can
plant up here. Anyone have any suggestions?

James

Arctic kiwi, Actinidia kolomitka, is hardy to zone 3. The male plant is
particularly attractive, with bright pink and cream variegation that looks
like paint splashes. Regular hardy kiwi, Actinidia arguta, is reputed hardy
through zone 5. These are not the kiwis one finds in the supermarket - they
are small, grape-sized fruits that are very sweet. You will need a male and
at least one female plant to produce fruit. They are available at Raintree:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/

pam - gardengal

Old 24-03-2003, 10:08 PM
K, T, E & N

I'm in north AL. I've tried to grow Kiwi's several times because 1) I love
the fruit and 2) they're nice vines and very pretty. I really don't expect
them to fruit here, but would like the foliage just the same.

I've tried several times with mail order plants and all have died. If
there's a trick to getting the things to grow, I'd love to hear it and I'd
give it another try.

I've got a trellis I want to grow them over. Sunny spot. Good drainage.
Clay soil.

Kim

Old 25-03-2003, 01:22 AM
Art M

"K, T, E & N" wrote in message
I'm in north AL. I've tried to grow Kiwi's several times because 1) I

love
the fruit and 2) they're nice vines and very pretty. I really don't

expect
them to fruit here, but would like the foliage just the same.

I've tried several times with mail order plants and all have died. If
there's a trick to getting the things to grow, I'd love to hear it and I'd
give it another try.

I've got a trellis I want to grow them over. Sunny spot. Good drainage.
Clay soil.

Kim

"Good drainage.- Clay soil." Seems like a contradiction to me. Anyway I love
the fruit too, but am usually disappointed with what's available in the
supermarkets lately. I wish I could get some fruit from my plant, but it's a
bit cold here for the standard type that I have.

They need a fair amount of water, especially during a drought. I'm at the
north edge of zone 8 and haven't had any trouble with plant survival. You
are in zone 7 which may be too cold for the standard variety (certainly to
get fruit). The link I gave yesterday gives a fair amount of technical
information.

--Art

Old 25-03-2003, 05:32 PM
K, T, E & N

Okay. Clay soil - but it's not that bad - perks good. And I have slope so
there's not any standing water pooled after a rain.

I've started plants in pots, for up to a year. Put them in the yard and
they died. I probably didn't water them enough.

I'll copy the information from the web address you gave. Maybe get some
plants next year.

Thanks,

Kim

Old 26-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Minteeleaf

JNJ wrote:

All -- Somewhere I picked up that there is a variety of Kiwi that is hardy
to Zone 4. I'm up in Zone 6a and would like to find some varieties I can
plant up here. Anyone have any suggestions?

James

Miller Nurseries in Canandaigua NY carry several varieties
of cold-hardy kiwis. The fruit is small--like a large grape
& wonderfully flavored. Also fuzz-free. Use a very strong
trellis if you grow them.

Minteeleaf
Old 27-03-2003, 01:44 AM

arrrgggghhh .. I have had "labeling" problems with Miller. Try Raintree. they got
lots of stuff, so does Edible Plants. Ingrid

Minteeleaf wrote:

JNJ wrote:

All -- Somewhere I picked up that there is a variety of Kiwi that is hardy
to Zone 4. I'm up in Zone 6a and would like to find some varieties I can
plant up here. Anyone have any suggestions?

James

Miller Nurseries in Canandaigua NY carry several varieties
of cold-hardy kiwis. The fruit is small--like a large grape
& wonderfully flavored. Also fuzz-free. Use a very strong
trellis if you grow them.

Minteeleaf

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/