Old 30-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Jane

Default RAISED VEGETABLE GARDEN BEDS

Hello,

I was thinking of putting in raised vegetable garden beds this year. I
wasn't sure what to use for the sides but am leaning towards the large white
cement blocks since they are permanent. The problem is that these are quite
wide (not sure exactly how wide) but this would make the recommend bed (4' x
4') that much wider. I was thinking of doing something longer in any
event - say 20 feet or more. For those with experience, does this seem a
good idea? Should I go to a 3' wide bed so it is easily reachable from
both sides? Would you go with the longer beds? Is there any drawback to
doing that? Any other suggestions for the material to use? Thanks for your
input.

Old 31-03-2003, 03:44 AM
JNJ

I was thinking of putting in raised vegetable garden beds this year. I
wasn't sure what to use for the sides but am leaning towards the large

white
cement blocks since they are permanent. The problem is that these are

quite
wide (not sure exactly how wide) but this would make the recommend bed (4'

4') that much wider. I was thinking of doing something longer in any
event - say 20 feet or more. For those with experience, does this seem a
good idea? Should I go to a 3' wide bed so it is easily reachable from
both sides? Would you go with the longer beds? Is there any drawback to
doing that? Any other suggestions for the material to use? Thanks for

your
input.

Jane, have you thought about just using some boards? Makes 'em much less
permanent and it's much less expensive (4 boards and about a dozen nails).
It would also allow you to experiment a bit with what you prefer -- longer
vs. shorter, wider vs. more narrow, and so forth.

If you really want to go with rock (and therefore a more permanent design),
you may want to look toward the ornamental. Not knowing how your property
is set up of course, but this would preserve them for later use with flowers
and shrubs should you decide to stop growing vegetables in that part of your
garden. Creek rock for example might cost the same to a tad more, require a
little more work, but looks much nicer than cement blocks and leaves your
future options open.

Just a thought.

James

Old 31-03-2003, 04:20 AM
John S. DeBoo

Jane wrote:

I was thinking of putting in raised vegetable garden beds this year. I
wasn't sure what to use for the sides but am leaning towards the large white
cement blocks since they are permanent. The problem is that these are quite
wide (not sure exactly how wide) but this would make the recommend bed (4' x
4') that much wider.

How about the cinder block type paving stones? They are typically 12"x12"x2"
and come in several colors, incl concrete gray.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 31-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Dwayne

I have four raised beds 20 feet long and 3 feet wide. It works great for
weeding and watering. If I had room I would have made them 50 ft long, but
no such luck. I have strawberries in one, blueberries in one, asparagus in
one, and the other is for tomatoes, green peppers, and misc. (what ever I
want to plant in my third year of my three year crop rotation plan).

I used landscape timbers for the sides on two and boards that were 10 inches
wide and 1 inch thick. Good luck. Dwayne