Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Fred Le Blanc

Default Raised Beds Orientation?

I will be putting in some raised beds for vegatables this year. this
is my first attempt at raised beds and I will be framing them with
redwood.

My question is which way should I orient the beds. It would seem that
a North-South direction will give each side of the crop the most sun,
but I'm not sure about this.

I live in northern California and we have very hot and sunny summers.

Appreciate any assistance you folks might provide.

thanks

Fred
Old 30-03-2003, 03:08 AM
zhanataya

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 01:24:47 GMT, Fred Le Blanc
wrote:

I will be putting in some raised beds for vegatables this year. this
is my first attempt at raised beds and I will be framing them with
redwood.

My question is which way should I orient the beds. It would seem that
a North-South direction will give each side of the crop the most sun,
but I'm not sure about this.

I live in northern California and we have very hot and sunny summers.

Appreciate any assistance you folks might provide.

thanks

Fred

If you are planting in rows run the rows north/south. Plant tall
staked and trellesed plants at the north end of the garden so as to
not shade the rest of the garden.

zhan
Old 30-03-2003, 09:56 AM
JStubbs358

you are so smart zhan- I never would have figured that out andthen wondered why
the sun wasn't getting to everything LOL Sometimes the most obvious elude us.
Like watching the firtd day of bombing. they showed 3view over and over again.
I was trying to figure where they were in relation to the city. 1 was light -1
was green-1wasdark. I told my husband the light one faced east the green kept
gettin lighter was north and the dark was west and he was amazed until I
reminded that the sunwas coming up therfore lightst- west would be the darkest
and so proud I could figure it out because he alwas asks directions and I'm
like huh?

[IMG] code is On

Raised beds - really raised asd Edible Gardening 0 11-02-2011 03:00 AM
Raised beds - really raised Cipher[_2_] Edible Gardening 7 15-12-2010 11:48 PM
Why are raised beds raised? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 6 27-01-2009 09:15 PM
Birdhouse orientation? Gene Texas 0 24-03-2007 06:17 PM
UV Clarifier Orientation Bampa Ponds 6 13-09-2003 11:02 PM