Old 30-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Polar

Default Pruning Artemisia

Amigos y Amigas, can you help me with pruning Artemisia Powis
Castle. I put it in last July, and it is beginning to sprawl. Can't
find anything in Western Garden Book about pruning.

Went to at least 10 Web sites on Artemisia. Most just repeated
the same boilerplate. Only two even mentioned pruning. One said:

+++++++

Do not prune in autumn. Prune in early spring after buds start to
break. Do not cut back too hard into old wood or you risk killing the
plant. You may use hedge shears in the summer to shape the plant as
needed. If plants fall open in the summer, shear back by 1/3 to 1/2.

+++++++++

Before going with this, I would like to ask whether the advice is
valid for So. Calif coastal (Zone 24/8). Our "early spring" is
different, say, from Montana or New Jersey early spring.
Also this year we have had "summer" weather all "winter",
so this may confuse plants.

Also, is less than one year an "old plant", as another site mentioned
Here's what it said: "Older plants need to be cut back in early
spring to encourage new growth to come up from the bottom."

"if plants all open in the summer", I think I get it, but would
welcome comments on this as well.

TIA

--

Polar
Email copies welcome

Old 30-03-2003, 10:32 PM
animaux

I cut my 'Powis Castle' back in spring. I cut it down to about a foot tall or
less. In a month it is beautiful again.

Old 01-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Polar

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:21:21 GMT, animaux wrote:

I cut my 'Powis Castle' back in spring. I cut it down to about a foot tall or
less. In a month it is beautiful again.

Thanks for message. What zone are you, please?

TIA

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Artemisia ' escapee Gardening 0 01-05-2004 10:03 PM
Seeds or young plants required: Artemisia Absinthium (aka Wormwood). Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 2 28-02-2004 03:32 AM
Seeds or young plants required: Artemisia Absinthium (aka Sacha United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 10:25 AM
Seeds or young plants required: Artemisia Absinthium (aka Wormwood). Danny United Kingdom 58 24-02-2004 10:06 AM
help with identifying Artemisia absinthium Richard Wright Plant Science 1 15-10-2003 02:02 PM