Old 31-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Dawn

Default when is it time to trim a hedge?

There is a lot I don't know about gardening. For instance, I don't
know what this bush that grows outside my livingroom window is, but
it's about 3 feet taller than I'd like (it is starting to block the
window). It has dark green leaves that turn red in the fall where the
sun hits them. I know it's not a photinia.

Should I whack it back now, or wait until fall, or does it matter when
I cut it? Stuff is starting to bud here in Missouri, this bush has
little green leaf buds on it but they haven't started to open. Yet. A
couple more warm days like this and it will be a different story.

If someone could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Dawn
Old 01-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Pam

Wwithout knowing what the shrub in question is, it's a little presumptive to
just direct the poster to whack it back. Some shrubs don't take well to being
lopped off with hedge shears and if it is an early bloomer, you could be
removing all this season's flowers. Let's try and get the ID down before we
make wild generalizations about how to prune it.

Dawn, there are tons of shrubs that change color in winter. Does this one hold
its leaves all winter or does it drop them? Flowers? Berries?

pam - gardengal

Derryl Killan wrote:

Hi Dawn - cut your shrub back 3 feet with loppers and prune it at the same
time. Take out crossed and rubbing branches and any dead or diseased wood.

Derryl in Zone 3A

om...

Old 01-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Dawn

Pam wrote in message ...

Dawn, there are tons of shrubs that change color in winter. Does this one hold
its leaves all winter or does it drop them? Flowers? Berries?

It goes bare in the winter. The branches slap on my window when it
gets windy. I don't recall seeing any berries or flowers. It must
reproduce somehow, but it's nothing memorable.

The leaves are solid dark green. They are 2-3 inches long and I
remember them being kind of oval, not long and thin. I think they have
pointed tips, but I can't find any dried ones in the flowerbed under
it right now, just leaves from our silver maple. I can see the leaf
buds coming in on the branches in pairs, rotating around each branch,
about 2 inches apart.

Dawn
Old 02-04-2003, 12:20 AM
TakeThisOut

Pam wrote in message

Dawn, there are tons of shrubs that change color in winter. Does this one

hold
its leaves all winter or does it drop them? Flowers? Berries?

It goes bare in the winter. The branches slap on my window when it
gets windy. I don't recall seeing any berries or flowers. It must
reproduce somehow, but it's nothing memorable.

The leaves are solid dark green. They are 2-3 inches long and I
remember them being kind of oval, not long and thin. I think they have
pointed tips, but I can't find any dried ones in the flowerbed under
it right now, just leaves from our silver maple. I can see the leaf
buds coming in on the branches in pairs, rotating around each branch,
about 2 inches apart.

Dawn

Sounds like burning bush...

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

Old 02-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Pam

TakeThisOut wrote:

Pam wrote in message

Dawn, there are tons of shrubs that change color in winter. Does this one

hold
its leaves all winter or does it drop them? Flowers? Berries?

It goes bare in the winter. The branches slap on my window when it
gets windy. I don't recall seeing any berries or flowers. It must
reproduce somehow, but it's nothing memorable.

The leaves are solid dark green. They are 2-3 inches long and I
remember them being kind of oval, not long and thin. I think they have
pointed tips, but I can't find any dried ones in the flowerbed under
it right now, just leaves from our silver maple. I can see the leaf
buds coming in on the branches in pairs, rotating around each branch,
about 2 inches apart.

Dawn

Sounds like burning bush...

I agree - Euonymus alatus, aka burning bush. You can confirm by looking at the
branches. They will have small fins or wings growing along the sides, giving
rise to another name of winged euonymus. If this is the case, go ahead and whack
away :-)) This shrub takes hard pruning like a trooper and now is an ideal time
to do it.

pam - gardengal

Old 03-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Dawn

Pam wrote in message ...

I agree - Euonymus alatus, aka burning bush. You can confirm by looking at the
branches. They will have small fins or wings growing along the sides, giving
rise to another name of winged euonymus. If this is the case, go ahead and whack
away :-)) This shrub takes hard pruning like a trooper and now is an ideal time
to do it.

Thanks! Yes, it does have those ridges, like "corners" on each of the
shoots.

Good, this baby is getting a serious trim tomorrow. It started to open
its leaf buds today. I'm glad I can cut it back without risking bald
spots in the foliage.

Dawn