Old 02-04-2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Travis M.

Default How to get rid of the wax on apples?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Knack" wrote in message
link.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

wrote in message
ups.com...
The best example is with red delicious apples
purchased at
your local grocery store.
The apples have whitish areas/stains on the outside
skin,
and on red apples the white stains are especially
visible.
It is difficult to remove the stains even when trying
rub them off under running water. When soaked in
water for
10 mins the whitish areas become even
more visible. I assume they are wax, and the type of
wax
used on apples supposed to be
water soluble and easily removable and these stains
one is
NOT. I do not want to eat apples with pesticides and
other
dirt under the wax.

These stains are on apples no matter where you buy
them.
Is there any way to remove the wax quickly and
reliably?
Does it make sense to peel each apple?

It's easy to remove. Get yourself a fingernail brush
that
you'll use just for fruits & vegetables. Put a drop or
two
of dish soap on the brush and scrub, then rinse
(obviously). It won't hurt the apple, but it will
remove
the wax. Besides seeing that it's gone, you'll notice
that
the skin suddenly has an apple smell.

this works, although i use a washrag & not a brush.
one should remember that apples also have a natural waxy
coating on the skin, in addion to that which is applied
for
storage. my guess is that the whitish area on the skin is
the
natural wax bloom under the artificially applied wax. the
bloom would get larger if the apple was soaking.

I agree with you about the pesticides, but the wax is a
good thing. Without it, it's unlikely any domestically
grown apples would last more than a month or three. Red
Delicious have a thicker skin, and might go well
without
wax, but they're only good for cattle feed, so who
cares?

geez Doug, it's bad enough you hate dogs. now you want to
subject poor innocent cows to the abomination that is a
Delicious apple? you evil, twisted man!
the only use for a Delicious apple is starting a compost
pile...

Delicious apples are also good ballast for florists' fruit
baskets - they keep the baskets stable so they don't tip
over
and damage the worthwhile fruit, if any. :-)

They may not taste as good as other apple varieties, but
AFAIK red
delicious
skins contain a far greater concentration of the antioxidant
flavonoid named
quercetin, than does any other variety of apple. This is also
true of red onions with respect to yellow/white varieties.

Other important sources of quercetin: black/green teas,
cranberry, red wine,
brocolli, kale, spinach, whole buckwheat flour, undutched
cocoa
powder

Any of those things taste much better than red delicious
apples.

They are very red but not at all delicious.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 02-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Registered User

Smile

Knack "enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Knack"
wrote in
ink.net:
Cortlands are grown mostly in NY state. In fact I recall
trout fishing a couple times near Cortland, NY; that
country is one of the greenest, lushest farmlands I've ever
seen. As a kid, I recall Cortland apples as were among the
first of the economy apples that were sold prebagged in
supermarkets. I wonder whether they're simply McCintosh
that are graded smaller in size and resold as a different
variety! No, they're unavailable where I now live; in
eastern Washington.

oh my ghods, NO! a Cortland is NOT one of those nasty mealy
MacIntoshes. ew! how could you *possibly* confuse the two?!
a Courtland is crisp, with a tender (but not too tender)
skin, & sweet with just the right amount of acid bite. good
for eating *and* baking.
a MacIntosh is a nasty, mealy, hard skinned apple suitable
only for apple sauce. they're just a step up from Red
Delicious.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Ha :-) Well, must admit that its been a while since I had one. I'll look
for them next time that I'm visiting in NJ later this month, but unlike
apples from Wasington and BC, their off-season availability (from controlled
atmosphere storage) is hard to come by.

i think everyone has their likes and dislikes of certain kinds of apples. we have an apple tree in our front yard that is supposed to grow 5 different kinds on one tree but so far the only apples we have had are golden delicious. they are really firm and surprisingly sweet. we are hoping that more grow on the tree this year . yup i know some people are going eeeeewwwww but here we eat a lot of different kinds of fruits and just love them including other kinds of apples. but i am still really happy to have the ones that we have been blessed with whether we have a few or a lot its still nice to have them. enjoy your apples everyone. cyaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Doug Kanter

"Knack" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

"Knack" wrote in message
link.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Knack" wrote in message
link.net...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

wrote in message
ups.com...
The best example is with red delicious apples purchased at
your local grocery store.
The apples have whitish areas/stains on the outside skin,
and on red apples the white stains are especially visible.
It is difficult to remove the stains even when trying to
[...]

Red delicious are still my least favorite apple for flavor, and I used
to avoid them for.. I can't remember how far back! It was only after
learning of their quercetin content last autumn that I began choosing
them once in a while. There are 3 or 4 aspects about them that make them
less enjoyable.

My favorite apple is rarely available, and when it is, it is by name
only, as the cultivar has been hybridized over the years and bears
little resemblance to the one that we loved as kids: Stayman winesap.
Although its skin was thick, and dull red, with little natural wax, and
with unattractive scaly patches, it was positively the sweetest,
crispest apple. They were commonly used for cooking, because many people
detested their skin, which is removed for cooked recipes anyway. The
modern cultivar of the Stayman winesap usually has been x-bred (possibly
with Braeburn, or who know what) for the purpose of looks and to make
the skin thinner, resulting in an inferior flavor that I do not prefer
over other varieties. I don't think I've found a true original Stayman
winesap in well over 10 years.

Next to hostas and squash, apples are the next worst whores of the
vegetable world. Stop obsessing over quercetin and just eat more apples
of whatever kind you like best. Where are you from? Can you get a decent
Cortland?

Cortlands are grown mostly in NY state. In fact I recall trout fishing a
couple times near Cortland, NY; that country is one of the greenest,
lushest farmlands I've ever seen. As a kid, I recall Cortland apples as
were among the first of the economy apples that were sold prebagged in
supermarkets. I wonder whether they're simply McCintosh that are graded
smaller in size and resold as a different variety! No, they're unavailable
where I now live; in eastern Washington.

Totally different variety.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Doug Kanter

"Knack" wrote in message
link.net...

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

In New Jersey, your best bet for decent apples at this time of year will
likely be a Wegman's store. Their apples come from Fowler Farms, near
Rochester, and they go to great lengths to extend their storage quality. You
can find one of the NJ stores at www.wegmans.com.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Courtlands are one of my favorites too. But my DH says MacIntoshes right off the
tree are even better than courtlands, harder, crisper. They just dont store at all.
Courtlands, of course, store magnificently well. Our frig in the basement was
specifically used to store our Courtlands and we ate them most of the winter. by
spring they were only good for pies and such and then we started using up the
greenings. Ingrid

sockiescat wrote:
oh my ghods, NO! a Cortland is NOT one of those nasty mealy
MacIntoshes. ew! how could you *possibly* confuse the two?!
a Courtland is crisp, with a tender (but not too tender)
skin, & sweet with just the right amount of acid bite. good
for eating *and* baking.
a MacIntosh is a nasty, mealy, hard skinned apple suitable
only for apple sauce. they're just a step up from Red
Delicious.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 07-04-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Alf Christophersen

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:19:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Next to hostas and squash, apples are the next worst whores of the vegetable
world. Stop obsessing over quercetin and just eat more apples of whatever
kind you like best. Where are you from? Can you get a decent Cortland?

Is Lobo available anymore over there? It is a Canadian sort looking
like those Red ones, but far richer in taste, at least when grown over
here in Norway. I have only one tree left :-( And I hope it survived
this winters helluwa snow weather. Haven't looked after it yet.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Mr. Natural-Health

How to get rid of the wax on apples?

Eat the apples!!!

The wax absorbs any surface pesticides on the apples and passes out of
your body undigested.

Just thought that you might want to know.

Umh, .... yummy.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Doug Kanter

"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in
message oups.com...
How to get rid of the wax on apples?

Eat the apples!!!

The wax absorbs any surface pesticides on the apples and passes out of
your body undigested.

I'm really going to need to see some reliable information to back up that
claim.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Mr. Natural-Health

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in
message oups.com...
How to get rid of the wax on apples?

Eat the apples!!!

The wax absorbs any surface pesticides on the apples and passes out of
your body undigested.

I'm really going to need to see some reliable information to back up that
claim.

Have fun looking for it.

Cheers ...

Old 08-04-2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Ann

"Mr. Natural-Health"
expounded:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in
message oups.com...
How to get rid of the wax on apples?

Eat the apples!!!

The wax absorbs any surface pesticides on the apples and passes out of
your body undigested.

I'm really going to need to see some reliable information to back up that
claim.

Have fun looking for it.

Cheers ...

Trolling, trolling, over the bounding maine.........
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 08-04-2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Doug Kanter

"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in
message oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in
message oups.com...
How to get rid of the wax on apples?

Eat the apples!!!

The wax absorbs any surface pesticides on the apples and passes out of
your body undigested.

I'm really going to need to see some reliable information to back up that
claim.

Have fun looking for it.

Cheers ...

Que mierda....

Old 08-04-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Mr. Natural-Health

Ann wrote:
"Mr. Natural-Health"
expounded:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in
message oups.com...
How to get rid of the wax on apples?

Eat the apples!!!

The wax absorbs any surface pesticides on the apples and passes out of
your body undigested.

I'm really going to need to see some reliable information to back up that
claim.

Have fun looking for it.

Cheers ...

Trolling, trolling, over the bounding maine.........

You guys don't write my pay check.

Most of your guys don't have a clue about how do research on the WEB.
And, this issue is on the bottom of the list of issues that I am
interested in writing about.

Beggars are NOT in a position to complain about anything.

Just my opinion, but I am NEVER wrong.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Doug Kanter

"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in
message ups.com...

And, this issue is on the bottom of the list of issues that I am
interested in writing about.

Good! Your digested wax theory is worthy of no further attention.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Mr. Natural-Health

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Mr. Natural-Health" wrote in
message ups.com...

And, this issue is on the bottom of the list of issues that I am
interested in writing about.

Good! Your digested wax theory is worthy of no further attention.

And, your paranoida about a NON-issue called wax on apples is worthy of
no further attention on my part.

Prove to me, that the wax added to apples raises any more health issues
than the pesticides apple trees naturally produce to fight off pests
the natural way.

You guys are simply morons.

Just thought that you might want to know.

Ames BN, Profet M, Gold LS. Dietary pesticides (99.99% all natural).
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990 Oct;87(19):7777-81. PMID: 2217210
http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/article...bmedid=2217210

Old 08-04-2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,sci.med.nutrition
Mr. Natural-Health

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/CO.../nn030929.html
"Apples produce their own natural wax coating during growth. This helps
them retain moisture after picking. However, many packers wash picked
apples with a solvent detergent to remove dirt and pesticide residues
that accumulate during growth. This also removes the apple's natural
wax coating, leaving the apple susceptible to loss of moisture and
eating quality.

To retard this chain of events, many packers coat washed apples with a
commercial wax such as Carnauba. Carnauba is an inert product derived
from the leaves and buds of the Brazilian wax palm. It's been used in
foods since 1900 and, according to FDA's Division of Toxicology, causes
no ill effects at levels used."

http://www.bestapples.com/facts/waxing.html
"Whether natural or applied, wax may whiten on the surface of fruits or
vegetables if they have been subjected to excessive heat and/or
excessive moisture. This whitening or chalky appearance is similar to
that of a candy bar when you place it in the freezer.

Research has shown that apple waxing prevents moisture loss, enhances
firmness retention and slows down the apple respiration rate.

In the most recent study conducted at the U.S. Department of
Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service Laboratory in Wenatchee,
Wash., Red Delicious apples from Controlled Atmosphere (CA) storage
were held at room temperature for eight days (duplicating how apples
are treated in grocery stores). The unwaxed apples lost firmness faster
than the waxed apples.

A second study showed the waxed apples also had less weight loss after
eight days at room temperature. Research horticulturists from the USDA
report "the use of wax on Red Delicious apples improved firmness and
color, and reduced weight loss."