Old 08-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Twobtold

Default Ideas for 63 x 3 plot sought

Hi --
I'm looking for ideas/suggestions for plants for a 63' x 3' plot.
The town put in new sidewalks & curbs on our street last fall. In doing this
they ripped out the grass plot that separated the sidewalk from the gutter.
They are supposed to come back this Spring and re-seed this plot with grass
seed, but right now it's nearly empty. (4 inches of snow there right now.)
Sunday I planted 4 shrubs the two Cornus alba 'Sibirica' and
two Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea'. I planted them with 5' of space between each
plant. I live in Zone 6, NJ the plot faces ESE.
I don't really know the laws governing planting in these plots, but I saw
this as an opportunity to have something besides grass planted there. I know I
probably can't have an all shrub border there because of people exiting cars on
the passenger side.
Any comments, opinions, ideas or advice welcomed.
TIA
Old 08-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Purchgdss

[...]

I recently had a sidewalk installed as well and I decided that I wanted to line
the whole thing with tulips and naturalizing Daffodils (for now, more to come
HEHEHE) so that the neighborhood kids could pick the flowers to take home to
Mom. I remember myself as a child running home with a pretty flower or two
just to see Mom smile.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 08-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Dwight Sipler

Twobtold wrote:

[...]

The first thing I would do is to check with the town. If they are
planning to re-seed with grass, they will probably want to grade it
first to remove the ravages of winter. If you have something planted
there it may just be ripped up. Also, check to see whether the strip is
owned by the town or by you. Don't just assume that you own the land to
the edge of the road. Roads are defined by right-of-ways
(rights-of-way?) which may not correspond directly to the "travelled
way" (i.e. the paved part of the road).

If you really want to plant something there, first put it in as a plant
rather than as seed so it's obvious that there's something there, then
be sure to put some stakes around everything you plant so that the
town's ground crew know that it was put there on purpose and is not just
a weed growing there.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Heather

How about a rock garden of sorts where it would not bother the car doors but
give you a nice garden to look at instead of grass.

Heather

Old 08-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Twobtold

From: Dwight Sipler

[...]

I reached the 'town attorney' who said I could put what I wanted in the plot.
He didn't say it with much conviction though. He did say that the town would be
repaving the street this Spring and would be re-seeding the plots with grass
seed at the same time. He did not know for sure who owned the strip but he said
if the town was responsible for the upkeep/repair of the sidewalk without
billing the homeowner, he thought the town owned the strip. I think because the
'town attorney' position is a part-time, political position I'm getting these
vague answers.
So Dwight, I think you are correct in all your observations.
I have already worked on this plot. I turned it over to a depth of 12
inches, raked all the rocks and clumps of dried concrete out of the bed into a
cart. Then I dug around the permitter of the plot 2' deep by 7" wide. I put all
the rocks in this trench, tamped them down and covered with soil. I then used a
30" grading rake to level off the plot. I put the 4 dogwood in starting 13'
from one end, 5' apart. I covered this 20' planting area with 4 bags of
material from my chipper/shredder.
I will drive some 6' stakes around the red- & yellow-twig dogwoods as you
suggest.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2003, 12:56 AM
TakeThisOut

You have rocks in NJ? My aunt has nothing but sand, and hauls mine away with
her whenever she visits me here on Long Island.

I'd look into perennials that completely die back in the winter - snowplows
have been known to break my mailbox at the base (4x4 lumber) just from pushing
less than 12" of snow off the street and onto this "grassy knoll." I wouldn't
go with shrubs... although they would cut down on street noise if you're on a
busy street...

How about Cannas?

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 09-04-2003, 07:20 PM
news.verizon.net

I naturalize daylily's in my streetside plot. Even sunflowers are fun to
grow there. Kids love to see them close up. Last year I had an over
abundance of black eyed susans which I transplanted to that area.

Most people respect the growing area and do their best to avoid stepping on
things that the see when exiting their cars. There will always be some
plant loss in a public area but I think having this area outweighs any small
loss.

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
You have rocks in NJ? My aunt has nothing but sand, and hauls mine away

with
her whenever she visits me here on Long Island.

I'd look into perennials that completely die back in the winter -

snowplows
have been known to break my mailbox at the base (4x4 lumber) just from

pushing
less than 12" of snow off the street and onto this "grassy knoll." I

wouldn't
go with shrubs... although they would cut down on street noise if you're

on a
busy street...

How about Cannas?

.