Old 28-04-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Richard Miller

Default A good tree for Texas?

I have 260 feet of fence line that I want to put a dense tree hedge or tight
tree line. I know I can't get any evergreens because I want a 30 foot
minimum tree height. So what would be a good tree and how far would I have
to space them. Something that is fast growing and doesn't require a lot of
water and turns pretty colors in the fall. I was thinking about Chinese
Pistachio . Any other ideas?

Richard

Old 28-04-2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy writes:

Do a google search on "Austree" and see if that one
satisfys your requirements..

It had a very very very fast growth rate, and is very bushy..

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 28-04-2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Richard Miller wrote:
I have 260 feet of fence line that I want to put a dense tree hedge or tight
tree line. I know I can't get any evergreens because I want a 30 foot
minimum tree height. So what would be a good tree and how far would I have
to space them. Something that is fast growing and doesn't require a lot of
water and turns pretty colors in the fall. I was thinking about Chinese
Pistachio . Any other ideas?

Richard

What part of Texas are you in? When I lived near Dallas, there wasn't a
tree taller than me anywhere to be seen. And I'm short.

That's one major reason I ended up moving back north. Nowhere near
enough green. (Except in the sky right before a tornado.)

--Jenny

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes Diabetes Info

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm Get Your Blood
Sugar Under Control
Old 28-04-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Richard Miller wrote:

I have 260 feet of fence line that I want to put a dense tree hedge or tight
tree line. I know I can't get any evergreens because I want a 30 foot
minimum tree height. So what would be a good tree and how far would I have
to space them. Something that is fast growing and doesn't require a lot of
water and turns pretty colors in the fall. I was thinking about Chinese
Pistachio . Any other ideas?

Richard

Most quality trees would need to be fairly large (expensive) when
planted. Fast growing often means easily broken by wind. There are some
medium speed growing trees that might be worth considering, Shumard Oak
will have nice foliage in the fall. Lacebark (Chinese) Elm has ok
foligae depending on how slowly winter arrives(some call it
semi-evergreen), has interesting looking bark, and can be
selected/trained to have low branching or possibly multiple trunks . I
dunno if there are 30 foot capable varietis of Crepe Myrtle (I've seen
some that must be close to that height) but they can be 'hedge-like' and
of course have blooms. Maybe Pond Cypress(doesn't need huge amounts of
water ONCE ESTABLISHED). Although it is much maligned, the Russian Elm
MAY be worth considering for your application. check out
www.greenwoodnursery.com for some ideas in addition to folks here.

I dunno. So far I like my Lacebark Elm. It's still small but growing
quickly. I do have 2 huge Bald Cypress but they need wetter conditions
than the Pond Cypress. They other stuff I've read about.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)