Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 AM
mike

Default will the freezing temps kill my plants?

It has been above freezing for several weeks now and everything is
blooming and leafing out. But tonight it is going to get down to 26.

I have hostas, lots of irises, daylilly, roses, peonies and tons of
other perennials coming out of the ground and leafing back out. I do
not have much to cover my plants and I covered my roses first - what
types of things would be most likely to be killed? Or will it just
kill plants back and force them to come out again?

I was also concerned about my autumn olive which is blooming for the
first time. I assume it will kill the blooms and thus the fruit even
if no serious damage is done to the shrub itself. I hate late
freezes.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 AM
jammer

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:13:14 -0500, mike wrote:

It has been above freezing for several weeks now and everything is
blooming and leafing out. But tonight it is going to get down to 26.

I have hostas, lots of irises, daylilly, roses, peonies and tons of
other perennials coming out of the ground and leafing back out. I do
not have much to cover my plants and I covered my roses first - what
types of things would be most likely to be killed? Or will it just
kill plants back and force them to come out again?

I was also concerned about my autumn olive which is blooming for the
first time. I assume it will kill the blooms and thus the fruit even
if no serious damage is done to the shrub itself. I hate late
freezes.

Go cover them up.....alll mine are covered for the night.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:32 AM
jammer

I appologize, i didnt read this very well before posting a reply. My
tomatoes and melons are covered. My perrenial flowers i left alone.
The weather man said it would probably only freeze for 2 hrs, but i
didnt want to chance it.
I am not one to give advice on flowers.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Cereoid+10+

Exactly where on the planet are you?

If they survived the winter, they should be fine.

Don't believe everything the weathermen say.

Its the only job where you can be wrong every day and not get fired.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Frogleg

mike wrote

It has been above freezing for several weeks now and everything is
blooming and leafing out. But tonight it is going to get down to 26.

I have hostas, lots of irises, daylilly, roses, peonies and tons of
other perennials coming out of the ground and leafing back out. I do
not have much to cover my plants and I covered my roses first - what
types of things would be most likely to be killed? Or will it just
kill plants back and force them to come out again?

I was also concerned about my autumn olive which is blooming for the
first time. I assume it will kill the blooms and thus the fruit even
if no serious damage is done to the shrub itself. I hate late
freezes.

Even plants that habitually survive cold winters may be damaged by a
late freeze after they have begun to put out new spring growth. I
still mourn a pretty little rose that had leafed out beautifully and
then succumbed to a surprise spring blizzard (I *did* wrap it up, but
the covering blew away). Daylilies and Iris are pretty tough. In 20
years, I've never had Hostas damaged by crazy weather (zone 7b or 8).
As the newsies say, "only time will tell." If the plants are
well-established, your yield of growth/blossoms/fruit may be affected
for this year, but the plants you mention (my rose was *very* small)
will probably survive a short cold snap. Best wishes.

Old 10-04-2003, 07:20 AM
MacTech

(Frogleg) wrote in message ...
mike wrote

It has been above freezing for several weeks now and everything is
blooming and leafing out. But tonight it is going to get down to 26.

I have hostas, lots of irises, daylilly, roses, peonies and tons of
other perennials coming out of the ground and leafing back out. I do
not have much to cover my plants and I covered my roses first - what
types of things would be most likely to be killed? Or will it just
kill plants back and force them to come out again?

I was also concerned about my autumn olive which is blooming for the
first time. I assume it will kill the blooms and thus the fruit even
if no serious damage is done to the shrub itself. I hate late
freezes.

I live in west central Wisconsin. For the past eight years that I have
lived in this house, the irises and daylilies growing closest to the
house always manage to grow four or six inches and then we'll get a
snowstorm in late March or April and the temperatures will be below
freezing for days on end and maybe down around 10 degrees at night.
The daylilies and irises have bloomed normally the way they always do
in June. My other peonies don't start coming up until later, but the
one closest to house manages to grow two or three inches by the time
we get a late snowstorm and cold spell. The peony hasn't been
affected, either.

We've gotten frost in the middle of May, too, but the frost hasn't
affected the irises, daylilies or peonies. A frost in the middle of
May, however, does hurt the wild grapes, wild black cherry, the choke
cherry, the blackberries and the raspberries. If we get a frost in the
middle of May or later, we can forget about any fruit.

LeAnn

http://ruralroute2.com

[IMG] code is On

How do cold weather plants survive freezing? Alan Meyer Plant Science 7 31-01-2007 02:50 AM
Deciduous fruit and Freezing Temps BB Gardening 4 14-01-2007 11:05 PM
winter temps agnatha3141 Orchids 5 01-12-2003 09:02 PM
Freezing and plants Gerd Nilsen Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 04:32 PM
Are cool house temps hurting my houseplants? The Wobulator Gardening 3 13-03-2003 02:44 AM