Old 09-04-2003, 08:32 PM
BiG Orange

Default Tree with Purple Flowers

Can you help identify this tree?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...074729594.html

Here is the pic.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/n...4074729594.jpg

Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Penny Morgan

If it's very fragrant, it looks like a lilac bush. The close-up picture
also shows the leaves, which also look like lilac leaves.

Are you located in a northern region? Lilacs grow beautifully in colder
climates. I used to have several huge bushes all over my yard when I lived
in upstate NY. Here in North Carolina, lilacs do not perform well due to
heat, fungal diseases, etc. I miss my Colorado Blue Spruce, Lilac Bushes,
and White Birch. I now have a few River Birches, but they don't even come
close to the white in their beauty. Oh well, I suppose I should be happy
with the longer growing season and the variety of different things that do
thrive here.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 10-04-2003, 01:32 AM
BiG Orange

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
Are you located in a northern region? Lilacs grow beautifully in colder
climates.

No, I am located in 7a.

Old 10-04-2003, 04:44 AM
animaux

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:25:39 -0400, "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
m...
Are you located in a northern region? Lilacs grow beautifully in colder
climates.

No, I am located in 7a.

I lived on Long Island in zone 7a and I'd consider that pretty much a northern
region. Where do you live in 7a which is not a northern region? If it's south
of the Mason Dixon line, lilacs may not perform well for you as they require a
certain amount of chill hours to develop.

Old 10-04-2003, 05:08 AM
BiG Orange

"animaux" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:25:39 -0400, "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
m...
Are you located in a northern region? Lilacs grow beautifully in

colder
climates.

No, I am located in 7a.

Tennessee, gets pretty warm here during the summer mid 90's.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:20 PM
kate

BiG Orange wrote:

"animaux" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:25:39 -0400, "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
m...
Are you located in a northern region? Lilacs grow beautifully in

colder
climates.

No, I am located in 7a.

Tennessee, gets pretty warm here during the summer mid 90's.

I'm in TN and one out of 8 of my lilacs bloomed for the first time last
year - when I moved it to an area shaded in the summer.

Kate
Old 11-04-2003, 01:56 AM
spampot

BiG Orange wrote:
"animaux" wrote in message

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:25:39 -0400, "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
. com...

Are you located in a northern region? Lilacs grow beautifully in

colder

climates.

No, I am located in 7a.

Tennessee, gets pretty warm here during the summer mid 90's.

It gets that bad here in the Baltimore/DC area in summer, too, but
lilacs thrive -- my sister inherited some that were up to the second
story of her house (formerly her husband's grandmother's). But they
need full sun to bloom. Our neighbors planted some when they moved in
seven years ago, and they're over eight feet tall now. Move 'em into
full sun and watch 'em go!

Old 11-04-2003, 04:56 AM
animaux

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 23:03:26 -0400, "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:25:39 -0400, "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
m...
Are you located in a northern region? Lilacs grow beautifully in

colder
climates.

No, I am located in 7a.

Tennessee, gets pretty warm here during the summer mid 90's.

You need to find out by an extension agent how many chill hours your garden
gets. Heat is not what does them in, the lack of chill hours does.